Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Boiler smells like ash/brick dust

Options
MSTAR
MSTAR Member Posts: 2
I have a new Ideal C30 its in the cupboard in my bedroom and my bedroom now smells like ash/brick dust. No where else in the house or even the landing area. I wanted this new boiler to get rid of the rotten eggs smell in the stair well - which I was glad to report has gone, only now I have a new issue to deal with. Heating Engineer cant smell anything! Have looked at other threads for burnt toast smell as the ash smell could be similar and that talks about;
"an acrid odor frequently accompanies CO production. Amazingly, excessive air is the culprit. The excess air lifts the flame off the burner rack or end cone, causing incomplete combustion, high CO by products and a funky almost "burn your eyes" gas that is similar to a burnt toast smell."
But I have a CO monitor in the cupboard.
The boiler has been in since August, I have had to re-pressurise it twice in that time as the pressure drop - so not sure if this indicates anything.

I am very certain this is a new smell there is no obvious damp/leaks in the area or underneath as I have been in the floorboards to locate a leak from the shower trap back in November.

The vent terminates directly to the outside wall and seems sound.

No other ventilation in the cupboard as advised not required with this unit.

What are the checks I need to ask my HE to perform to make sure this is not a major issue?

Any ideas appreciated.

Comments

• nicholas bonham-carter
    nicholas bonham-carter Member Posts: 8,578
    Options
    You say the flue pipe is vented to the outside, and presumably the intake is outside as well, so any smell would not come from the flame in the boiler.
    Is the material for the flue pipe correct for the application?
    These condensing boilers produce a pound of water for every pound of gas burnt, so is the condensate drainage correctly installed, with an acid neutralizer?—NBC
    MSTAR
  • MSTAR
    MSTAR Member Posts: 2
    Options
    Thank you for responding - I will ask
  • HVACNUT
    HVACNUT Member Posts: 5,841
    edited March 2018
    Options
    Also if the exhaust and intake aren't installed properly, you'll get cross contamination for combustion air. That could stink up a joint, and must be addressed.
    MSTARSuperTech
  • nicholas bonham-carter
    nicholas bonham-carter Member Posts: 8,578
    Options
    Cross contamination is a real possibility, but wouldn’t that smell be blown outside?—NBC
    MSTAR