Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

What have been your favorite industry related classes?

Mike_Sheppard
Mike_Sheppard Member Posts: 696
Knowledge is awesome. I can’t get enough. I’ve learned so much from Dan, Ray, Tim, Al, and many more. I try to attend as many classes per year as I can afford. Most of them are related to commercial/industrial boiler work because that’s what I do for a living, but in the last couple years I have been getting really into learning about design and engineering. I’ve attended a couple of the Carrier systems design classes taught by Will Wyman, which were awesome!

Has anyone here been to the B&G design classes? I want to make it to those as well.
Never stop learning.

Comments

• Larry Weingarten
    Larry Weingarten Member Posts: 3,481
    Hello, There are so many ways and places to learn from! I'll mention things other than traditional sit in classes, as others here likely know those better than I do. First, this site and the people on it are unrivaled for hydronics know how of all sorts.

Knowing the history of your field will give you perspective and an edge in your understanding, so start building your library of old books (addall.com).

I've looked for and found mentors. People who have put in the effort to really understand a topic tend to freely share that info... just try and do something in return that helps them.

Associations like ASHRAE and NACE are great sources of info that will broaden your understanding too. That's a start to answering a good question. B)

Yours, Larry
  • RayWohlfarth
    RayWohlfarth Member Posts: 1,613
    Mike I have heard Taco's class is really good. For boilers, I have heard some good things about the Ware Boiler University
    Good luck and keep learning
    Ray Wohlfarth
    Boiler Lessons
    Rich_49
  • Leonard
    Leonard Member Posts: 903
    edited March 2018
    I'm not really a heating guy , but you can learn a lot from a GOOD book on different subjects........ The hardest part is finding someone to tell you what is a GOOD book on the subject, and not just fluff or garbage.

Helps to have some basic knowledge though.

Reading/skimming 3 library books at a small town library is how I learned the practical side of car A/C recharging/repair when I needed to do my car. Bought the gauges, R-12 , recharged my car, later used them after work to make some nice beer money doing other people's cars.

Len MSME

• Rich_49
    Rich_49 Member Posts: 2,768
    Taco's advanced soup to variable speed nuts Factory training is probably the best value right now .
    You didn't get what you didn't pay for and it will never be what you thought it would .
    Langans Plumbing & Heating LLC
    732-751-1560
    Serving most of New Jersey, Eastern Pa .
    Consultation, Design & Installation anywhere
    Rich McGrath 732-581-3833
  • Mike_Sheppard
    Ray - thanks, I will check those out! Your books have been extremely helpful.

Leonard - I have so many books. From the guys I listed in the original post as well as many others. I have books everywhere and my girlfriend hates it.

Rich - I am going to look into the Taco class for sure. I’ve heard good things
    Never stop learning.
  • Erin Holohan Haskell
    Erin Holohan Haskell Member, Moderator, Administrator Posts: 2,348
    My favorites (but I'm biased ;) ) Classic Hydronics and Dead Men's Steam School - https://heatinghelp.pivotshare.com/home

President
    HeatingHelp.com

STEVEusaPADave H_2
  • RayWohlfarth
    Mike I agree with Erin Thanks for the feedback on mine. My techs have attended the Powerflame Classes and said they were really good
    Ray Wohlfarth
    Boiler Lessons
  • STEVEusaPA
    STEVEusaPA Member Posts: 6,505
    edited March 2018

My favorites (but I'm biased ;) ) Classic Hydronics and Dead Men's Steam School - https://heatinghelp.pivotshare.com/home

Great book, great seminar-biased or not!

I also enjoyed classes with George Lanthier as well as his books.
    I also really enjoy the Coffee with Caleffi webinars.
    I'd love to get up to take the Taco classes.

There was an error rendering this rich post.

Erin Holohan Haskell
  • j a_2
    j a_2 Member Posts: 1,801
    Taco was top shelf, I=B=R,was great, Peterson gas training by mostly grid techs...was good...Dans classes were of the best ever...then there was the school of hard knocks, I aced that baby...after several,knocks
    Lol
  • Mike_Sheppard
    Erin, I was lucky enough to attend one of Dan’s steam seminars many years ago. It was that seminar that formed my love of this work.

Classic hydronics is one of my favorite books. Just finished reading it again!

I may have to try PowerFlame classes again. I went to one about 8 years ago and it felt like a huge sales pitch. I tried to get into the Webster classes this year but they’re so popular that they fill up the same week that the schedule is released.
    Never stop learning.
  • Erin Holohan Haskell
    Thanks, Mike. Same here!

President
    HeatingHelp.com

• Pughie1
    Pughie1 Member Posts: 135
    Anthing by "Siggy" John Siegenthaler is well worth the time
    John Pughe
  • Mark Eatherton
    Mark Eatherton Member Posts: 5,852
    Pughie1 said:

Anthing by "Siggy" John Siegenthaler is well worth the time
    John Pughe

Modern Hydronic Heating of Residential and Light Commercial Buildings, version 3.0 is what I'd consider the hydronic contractors bible. It is heavy in formula's so if you are easily intimidated by heavy calculations, then anything that Dan Holohan has written is an excellent start. He (Dan) puts it in terms we can relate to and understand.

Since my kids moved out and took their HP calculators with them, I'm lost when it comes to scientific formula's. :wink:

As for classes, Uponor does a good one on basic radiant heating.

ME

• Pughie1
    Ditto Mark JP
  • Pughie1
    I've been trying to persuade Erin to offer her dads Dead Mens Steam school in DVD form I'd like to add it to all my Holohan collections. Anyone interested if this became available?
    John Pughe
  • Erin Holohan Haskell
    Pughie1 said:

I've been trying to persuade Erin to offer her dads Dead Mens Steam school in DVD form I'd like to add it to all my Holohan collections. Anyone interested if this became available?
    John Pughe

Sorry, John. We just don't have the capacity to distribute this on DVD since we closed our brick-and-mortar store.

President
    HeatingHelp.com

• Mad Dog_2
    Mad Dog_2 Member Posts: 7,397
    Besides DAN? Timmy Mc Elwain, Jim Davis and Jim Earhradt. Mad Dog
  • Pughie1
    Thanks Erin for last week and responding to my post......John Pughe
  • Erin Holohan Haskell
    Thanks, John.

President
    HeatingHelp.com

• MikeL_2
    MikeL_2 Member Posts: 509
    Dan for Hydronics & steam. Tim McElwain for all things gas. Frank Blau for operating a successful business.
  • Mike_Sheppard
    Mike, could you link me to the Frank Blau material?
    Never stop learning.
  • Mark Eatherton
    Mark Eatherton Member Posts: 5,852
    edited March 2018

Mike, could you link me to the Frank Blau material?

Frank retired many years ago, and his march is being carried on by Ellen Rohr. Google Ellen Rohr and you will find a HUGE resource on how to do business profitably.

https://ellenrohr.com

ME

Rich_49
  • Mike_Sheppard
    Mark, I own all of her books already! Great stuff. I haven’t gotten to all of them yet though. I will do some more research on her educational material once I get there.
    Never stop learning.
  • Mad Dog_2
    Mad Dog_2 Member Posts: 7,397
    Al Levi too. Mad Dog
  • Mike_Sheppard
    Al’s book was great. Lots of great material and motivation. I highly recommend it.

Guy’s like Al have given me hope that I might one day be able to run a successful business. Maybe even make it on to the Heating Help Contractors list :)
    Never stop learning.
    Erin Holohan Haskell
  • RayWohlfarth
    Mike I like to visit used book stores and search through the technical section for old HVAC books. Its great for date night entertainment.
    Ray Wohlfarth
    Boiler Lessons
  • Mike_Sheppard
    Ray, my girlfriend is obsessed with books. Believe it or not, that WOULD in fact be her ideal date night entertainment.

She has an entire room in our house filled with books, wall to wall, floor to ceiling. The books are the worst part of moving. A hundred boxes of books is back-breaking....
    Never stop learning.
  • RayWohlfarth
    Mike I know exactly what you are saying. My book shelves looked like a lawyers office until we moved. I donated boxes of books to Half Price Books and the garage sale at my church. Lots to be said for digital...
    Ray Wohlfarth
    Boiler Lessons