Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Mod con boiler choice

ronbugg
ronbugg Member Posts: 13
I’m looking to install a mod con boiler in the 80,000 btuh range. Have access to multiple brands. What brands do you prefer. Wirenut

Comments

• lchmb
    lchmb Member Posts: 2,997
    I like the IBC. I've done a few of them now..easy to install, nice to convert and set up. Easy set up on the heat curve...
    kcopp
  • NY_Rob
    NY_Rob Member Posts: 1,370
    edited February 2018
    Another popular choice is the HTP UFT-80W.
    Value priced Universal Fire Tube design, simple (but somewhat limited programming choices).

If you have lots of zones and/or a complex setup- the Lockinvar Knight/WHN series offers maximum programming flexibility (at added cost).
    ronbugg
  • kcopp
    kcopp Member Posts: 4,407
    I second the IBC. Especially the HC/DC... Its my fav. I would install it in my house over boilers costing A LOT more.
    Very good track record.
    Simple design.
  • bob eck
    bob eck Member Posts: 930
    There are many good condensing combi boilers on the market today.
    Your heating load is 80,000 BTU
    most combi boilers are higher BTU input for domestic hot water needs.
    I perfer condensing combi boilers with a SS firetube heat exchanger.
    Lochinvar Noble smallest combi boiler is 110,000 BTU input. You can derate the heating side of this combi boiler to your heating load of your house. For domestic hot water it will still fire up at 110,000 for domestic needs.
    This boiler delivers 2.6 GPM domestic hot water.
    You could run the domestic hot water into an electric water heater and store hot water in the tank and the elements will only come on as needed.
    How many showers do you have? If you have two shower I would install 1.5 GPM shower heads.
    The Noble combi boiler can run shower after shower after shower.
    Some contractors prefer to install an 80,000 BTU condensing gas boiler with a indirect water heater sized for the domestic hot water needs. You could install an 30, 40 or larger indirect water heater and store the water at140F or hotter and install an mixing valve to send out 120F hot water to your faucets.
    HTP has a condensing boiler that also does heating, domestic hot water and has a tank that acts as a buffer tank.
    As I said there are many good products on the market one of the most important considerations when installing any type of boiler is the contractor. Is the contractor properly trained on how to install the combi boiler and how to service and clean the boiler. Will the contractor installing the boiler set it up using boiler testing analyzer?
  • hot_rod
    hot_rod Member Posts: 21,975
    I have 3 Lochinvars, Cadet, Nobel and Knight and a Larrs/Baxi my place. They have all been very dependable.

Depends on the features you want or need. I think the Knoght has one of the best controls, easy to use, lots of features.

I have had the HTP tank style also, a nice option if you need or want a buffer built in.

There are so many good choices today, see what is a favorite of suppliers or installers in your area. support and parts availability are a few other considerations.
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
    Living the hydronic dream