Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Got some spray foam on the top of my recessed rad. Okay?

Hey, guys. I had a gap in the wall above my recessed rad, about 3 inches wide by 2 inches deep. I couldn't get to it without pulling the rad out because it's about half inch from the top, and I'm not savvy enough nor do I have the money to hire someone to pull it out for me (just spent a ton on my house). So I shot some spray foam in there (and around the gap in the floor where the pipe comes through).

I figured I'd just cut away anything that touches the actual rad, but it's going to be difficult. I can probably do it, but not without some residue. I underestimated the tackiness of this stuff.

So, my question is, is it okay to leave it? You can't see it, so that's not a problem. The foam says it's safe for temps under 240˚, and I'm no scientist, but I figure the rads don't go above 215ish˚ (boiling point and all that), so I should be safe there.

Any idea? Thanks in advance!

Comments

• Fred
    Fred Member Posts: 8,542
    You didn't foam it in a way that prevents air from circulating around that rad, did you? That will certainly reduce the heat output. Otherwise it should be okay.
  • JustinDavid86
    JustinDavid86 Member Posts: 8
    No, thankfully (didn't even think of that. Yikes). It's just in that 3-inch area and a bit along the back (where the gap extended some).

Thanks for the fast response!
  • the_donut
    the_donut Member Posts: 374
    Let it cure for a day or two. Stuff will expand a bit. Then cut and flake it off. Doesn’t really adhere to other materials as it does itself and will pull off in chunks with a little force. Acetone works well when a little tacky, but will eat paint finishes.
  • JustinDavid86
    JustinDavid86 Member Posts: 8
    I'll definitely try to get off what I can. I just wanted to make sure the rads didn't get hot enough to combust the foam and start a fire.

Thanks!
  • Grallert
    Grallert Member Posts: 642
    You might get a whiff of it when it heats up but other than that you should be fine.
    Miss Hall's School service mechanic, greenhouse manager,teacher and dog walker