Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Downsize the burner from 13TPH to 5 TPH

Hi,

We have very old three pass wet back horizontally packed 13 TPH Fire Tube Boilers installed in 1977. Design Pressure of 17.93 Kg/cm2 (255 PSI) and Heating Surface Area is 380 M2 .

Now the Burner need to be change with new. As it is outdated it is difficult to get the spares and also it is not possible to get the new. And steam support for the various organisations that we supply was decreased. So 13 TPH boiler is not required for now.

I am numb at this stage. My Question is can we downsize the burner to 5TPH. Please guide me. i am doing wrong i guess.

Please give me the valuable suggestions.

Thanks in avance
Ramesh

Comments

• newagedawn
    newagedawn Member Posts: 586
    pictures would help, name plates, as i dont understand the question?
    "The bitter taste of a poor install lasts far longer than the JOY of the lowest price"
  • Is TPH therms per hour?
    It seems that the change from 13 TPH to 5 TPH is quite a reduction in heat output, as generally the boiler, and burner are sized together, but as new age has suggested, pictures would help.—NBC
  • EBEBRATT-Ed
    EBEBRATT-Ed Member Posts: 15,998
    You can not decrease the firing rate so much as to cause your stack temperature to fall below 330 deg F. This would cause condensation of the flue gas and damage the boiler.

Maybe you can down fire the existing burner only to determine the minimum firing rate to keep the stack at 330F or above and measure the fuel input. If gas measure the fuel input at the gas meter. If oil determine the input by nozzle size and oil pressure. Also on oil, if you have to, put oil in a 55 gallon drum and weigh the drum . Run the burner and weigh the barrel and compute the volume of oil burned base on the time the burner ran.