Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Flame viewing door

Options
adasilva
adasilva Member Posts: 144
Just curious about the "door" on my boiler. Isn't it supposed to be free moving so I can look at the flame as the unit runs? Or is the bolt on it to hold it shut till it has a combustion test performed?

Comments

• BobC
    BobC Member Posts: 5,478
    Options
    You don't want that door to let air in, especially if the door can move and put different amounts of air in to the combustion chamber, it has to be held closed. Also it seems that bolt hole is a good place to put a over fire draft meter probe.

Bob
    Smith G8-3 with EZ Gas @ 90,000 BTU, Single pipe steam
    Vaporstat with a 12oz cut-out and 4oz cut-in
    3PSI gauge
  • adasilva
    Options
    @BobC Thank you for the insite! I was worried it had welded itself shut as the boiler sounds like a jet when its cycling! Maybe I was just overthinking it :
  • EBEBRATT-Ed
    EBEBRATT-Ed Member Posts: 15,525
    Options
    I suspect your inspection door is leaking fumes into the basement. Are you firing against a backpressure? The burner flange paint is discolored near the inspection door
  • adasilva
    Options
    @EBEBRATT-Ed I've mentioned in other posts that the people who owned this boiler liked to have it serviced bi annually.

I had a company out to service it this past November and they did a combustion test and cleaned the boiler as well along with a draft check and correction. The marks you refer to are old and nothing that I have seen has become worse that I can tell.
    This spring I plan on going through the boiler from top to bottom and see if I can avoid anything potentially before it happens. If it comes down to it I'll contact a contractor via this site as one of them is quite local to me and get their recommendations.