Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

New Smith 28-12 Steamer w Carlin 1150FFD

Options
EBEBRATT-Ed
EBEBRATT-Ed Member Posts: 15,574

New install. I can't take any credit for the boiler install as it was done by my co-workers. They moved on to another job as the flue and combustion air duct were not complete. I got sent their for start-up ,skimming and to finish wiring the combustion air dampers. All the conduit is 3/4" ridged steel conduit ...threaded as this is a wwt plant. Bending that stuff isn't easy. My claim to fame was the air damper conduit 15 feet up in the air. I actually screwed up, should have bought some factory bent elbows but the supply house was too far away so I bent that upper pipe all in one pc. Came out ok.

There's another story with this job that goes back 40 years. My first time back there. I'll post on that this weekend......it's a strange oil line issue.

The water side of the new boiler was filthy. Couldn't even run on low fire without going down on low water and not just the main lwco but was bouncing enough to hit the lower manual reset lwco.

5.5 lbs of TSP and 3-4 hours of skimming fixed that. Now on high fire (22 gph) the water level moves only a 1/4" while steaming. (3)5" risers and the right size header will do that. I was pretty happy with the operation after that.
kcopp

Comments

• STEVEusaPA
    STEVEusaPA Member Posts: 6,505
    Options
    Nice job Ed (and crew)!
    Was the old one a 2 stage burner? If not, maybe you can follow up after next winter and let us know how it did (fuel savings, etc.).

There was an error rendering this rich post.

• EBEBRATT-Ed
    Options
    The old burner I believe is just LO-HI-off. We were going to use a Power Flame on this new boiler but got quicker delivery on the Carlin. Also, with no gas available for a gas pilot on the Power Flame they have trouble lighting low fire on oil with spark ignition. With the right amount of air for a clean fire they light hard so then you have to back the air down and live with a so-so (on the edge of smoke) low fire.
  • Henry
    Henry Member Posts: 998
    Options
    The install does NOT follow the Smith instructions. This is one of many that we fixed or saved or replaced. You are supposed to have swing joints on the steam outlets! That boiler will leak! That is why we do installs for some contractors. One install like this, I won against the boiler insurance company! B. I & I!
  • EBEBRATT-Ed
    Options
    @Henry , that's nice. If you can find 1 in 100 installs that have 5" risers that are threaded with swing joints I would be very suprised