Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Fin Tube not good enough to warm up the room

ImYoungxD
ImYoungxD Member Posts: 130
edited February 2018 in Strictly Steam
My den on the 1st floor needs help with the heat. All radiators around the house works fine but this room isn't good enough to warm up the den. It's probably the coldest room out of all the rooms. House was built in 1947 so there is no insulation in the walls. I've caulked all windows and cracks, installed plastic film to the windows, covered up all electrical plugs and there are no drafts between the carpet and baseboard yet this radiator is having a tough time heating up the room. I keep the door closed all the time with the heat up and it's still cold.
My other room (next to the den and same size) is another fin tube (same size) and it's heating up the room fine.

I'm not a big fan of these tubes. Any recommendations? I have cast iron radiators everywhere else.
Attached is the image.

Comments

• JUGHNE
    JUGHNE Member Posts: 11,042
    Air flow is critical for that fin tube to work. Is that insulation on the back of the cabinet that could be impeding the air flow.
    A little dirt on the fins and outlet grill will also slow down the air.
    And of course the front must be on to get the "chimney effect" to induce the air flow.

Would this room have 2 outside walls compared to the other well heated room?

As you probably know the difference in mass between these convectors and cast iron helps even out the heat.
    With the steam off the fins cool off pretty fast.

Might be best to install cast iron. It would be a great stroke of luck to find one that would fit inside that cabinet.
  • Mike Cascio
    Mike Cascio Member Posts: 143
    I have had bad experience with non cast iron radiation playing well with cast iron radiation in the same zone. As soon as the boiler goes off this radiation will go stone cold. The cast iron will stay warm for around an hour.
  • ImYoungxD
    I don't think it's insulated. I am going to add a shield next to the wall. I've vacuumed all dust and dirt on the tube. fin tube rads heat fine with enough airflow when I put the cover on. I don't think it's strong enough to heat up a room with cold walls
  • gerry gill
    gerry gill Member Posts: 3,078
    How about steamradiator.com Charleston radiators?
    gwgillplumbingandheating.com
    Serving Cleveland's eastern suburbs from Cleveland Heights down to Cuyahoga Falls.

• GW
    GW Member Posts: 4,691
    Ah yes, does the convecror that works well seem to be sized similarly to what the problematic convector, based on various room size and windows?

If your air vent isn’t working well, that’s a problem. Try swapping your air vents and see if the problem shifts or stays the same

You’re sure the valve is fully opened? I can’t see it on my little phone

Does the convection coil get as hot as the other?

Does the Den have some heat loss characteristics that the other room you mention doesn’t have?
    Gary Wilson
    Wilson Services, Inc
    Northampton, MA
    gary@wilsonph.com
  • HomerJSmith
    HomerJSmith Member Posts: 2,425
    It all depends on how your piping system is set up. It's impossible to diagnose your problem with out a lot more information.

You can check the incoming and outgoing temp of the baseboard to see if you have the heat to begin with and compare that with the temp of the the boiler supply temp. With uninsulated walls you may be giving your heat energy to the great outdoors.
  • JUGHNE
    Is the back of that cabinet smooth?
    From my angle it looks like there is a wrinkle in the backing that might impede the air flow.
  • ImYoungxD
    I'll use my IR gun and post the results when I get back home. Air vent is less than 3 months old. Valve is fully open. It heats up well. The back of cabinet is smooth. I don't know why it's discolored. looks like paint.
  • GW
    Ok then if it heats as well as the opposing convector (and the sizing appears to be proportionally correct or close) then you may have big time heat loss issues. Take you IR and start looking. Recessed light fixtures? what's below and above this room?
    Gary Wilson
    Wilson Services, Inc
    Northampton, MA
    gary@wilsonph.com
  • JUGHNE
    Corner room.....2 windows?
  • ImYoungxD
    edited February 2018
    Corner room, two storm windows, 1st floor. Same as the other room with the fin tube. Basement is below, bedroom on 2nd floor. Those rooms stay warm. Main line is insulated with 1" fiberglass
  • JUGHNE
    Do the pipe run out size and length closely match?
    After you do the air vent switch........I am out of questions ;)
  • HomerJSmith
    HomerJSmith Member Posts: 2,425
    I have a small steam generator with a nozzle that I use to clean fin-tube. I put a flat cookie pan with 1" sides and slip it under the baseboard and steam clean the fins. It looks like you could use a cleaning.

You could probably use a garden sprayer with with a good cleaner mixed with water and spray the fin-tube when it is cold and then rinse it. You can try Oil Eater cleaner from an auto parts store.

Is that "Maid O Mist" Main Vent Valve working properly?
  • ImYoungxD
    I checked the fin tube temps with my IR gun and it says between 200F and 210F throughout the entire tube.

Two walls that is outside has a temp of 50F.

I cleaned the fins in the past. It had a lot of dust from the previous owner.

The air vent is working correctly. Main vent is big mouth.
  • neilc
    neilc Member Posts: 2,689
    you do have the front cover for the convector, right?
    you need the cover on to direct airflow thru the cabinet and the convector fins.
    This does not heat like a stand up cast radiator.
    known to beat dead horses
  • GW
    Ah yes, does the convecror that works well seem to be sized similarly to what the problematic convector, based on various room size and windows?

If your air vent isn’t working well, that’s a problem. Try swapping your air vents and see if the problem shifts or stays the same

You’re sure the valve is fully opened? I can’t see it on my little phone

Does the convection coil get as hot as the other?

Does the Den have some heat loss characteristics that the other room you mention doesn’t have?
    Gary Wilson
    Wilson Services, Inc
    Northampton, MA
    gary@wilsonph.com
  • GW
    Say what? I think my post just duplicated itself
    Gary Wilson
    Wilson Services, Inc
    Northampton, MA
    gary@wilsonph.com
  • JUGHNE
    If the valve, unions and spuds are all the same you could switch the entire element with the other. After swapping the air vents first IMO.
  • ImYoungxD
    I do have a cover. There is a gap on bottom for airflow. I think I will replace the fin tube with a small cast iron rad if I can find one on Craigslist.
  • Mike Cascio
    Mike Cascio Member Posts: 143
    Does the cold room face the south? Where does the warm room with the same radiation face?
  • ImYoungxD
    edited February 2018
    Den faces south and gets the sun all day. other room with the tube also faces south.

I'm getting an energy audit in two weeks. Hopefully we find the secret draft.