Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Hot Water Kickspace Heater Replacement

zoulas
zoulas Member Posts: 29
I currently have an old Embassy HW Kickspace heater that has a failed fan. The replacement fan is almost as much as the new Embassy HAV3 which seems to be much better made than the one I have. As I am not a plumber, I have a couple of basic questions. Is the heating pipe going into the heater pressurized? I know the I have to turn the heat off for that zone but do I need to do anything else before I cut out the old unit? Also right now the old unit has copper pipe going directly to the heater. Should I add flexible pipe to the new one to make the install easier? If so what type? Would shark bite make my life easier? I enclosed a picture of the old unit. Many Thanks

Comments

• Tom_133
    Tom_133 Member Posts: 904
    I know you want to tackle this project yourself, but for a typical heating guy thats a 1-2 hour job. I would recommend calling someone who does it for a living. Thats not to say you cant do its, but a minor leak can really cause some serious problems. The price for the install will be less than your insurance deductible.
    Tom
    Montpelier Vt
    DZoro
  • zoulas
    Thanks for the feedback but if someone out there can answer these basic questions I had that would be wonderful.
  • JUGHNE
    JUGHNE Member Posts: 11,200
    Yes it is under pressure.
    You have to shut the power off.
    Shut off the water feed valve.
    Drain down enough water from the system so there is no water to the coil.
    Cut out the coil.
    Install new coil.
    The flex connectors will probably restrict the flow of water.
    Sharkbite might work.....I have never used them.
    Refill system
    Check for leaks, if any, drain back down and redo.
    The electric connection may not be is the same location.
    If holding water fill system to previous pressure.
    Figure how to bleed air out of entire system and especially this coil which may not have an air bleed port?
    Check for leaks after system is hot......some leaks show up only when hot water is flowing.
    Then you are done! Just another 10 minute job! :*
    DZoroCanucker
  • EBEBRATT-Ed
    EBEBRATT-Ed Member Posts: 16,069
    And their is no guarantee that the piping connections on the new and old unit are in the same location
  • Alan Welch
    Alan Welch Member Posts: 270
    Might have more than one circuit to shut off, than deal with leaks from every drain or valve you touch.
  • Big Ed_4
    Big Ed_4 Member Posts: 2,917
    With all due respect ... If you have to ask , I would recommend for you to just replace the fan assemble ... Hate to see you live the nightmares of our newbie past ...

There was an error rendering this rich post.

kcoppDZoroCanucker
  • zoulas
    Just a simple question Big Ed, not looking to put plumbers out of business.