Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

MAIN LINE VENTING

Options
What is better:
On a 2", 30' Main with six (1-1/4") branches connected to 8 radiators, and using a vent that is rated for 1 for every 10' of Main:

Install 3 vents at the end of the Main (antler setup), or to install one vent every 10'.

It is possible for me to install a vent every 10', because I have a caped (unused) tee at the 10' and 20' distance from disconnected radiators (2 of the branches now supply 2 radiators). The only problem that might occur is the tees were caped on a short nipple decades ago, and I might destroy the threaded nipple and or tee. I don't know, if I put a wrench on the cap, will the cap loosen, or the nipple? What is the best method of removal?

Appreciate any advice.

Comments

• Fred
    Fred Member Posts: 8,542
    Options
    What kind of vents are you using? For a 30' Main, one vent, A Barnes and Jones Big Mouth is all you need. As an alternative, You can use a Gorton #2 but they both cost the same but the Big mouth gives you a lot more venting capacity and is solid Brass that will last a lifetime. I have never seen anybody suggest putting vents at 10' intervals. I suspect someone just said you need a particular vent for every 10' of Main. Main vents should always go after the last radiator run-out on the main. If they are put at 10' intervals, each one will close as steam gets to it and you will lose that much venting capacity every time steam passes by one of them.
  • geoprell
    geoprell Member Posts: 19
    edited February 2018
    Options
    They are the inexpensive "Durst" Main line vents you get at Lowe's and Home Depot. I read in one of the old posts that these basic Main line vents can vent 10' of pipe. It was my idea to space them at 10' intervals.

Can you have to much venting at the end of the Main?

Is one large vent better then connecting several smaller vents?
  • Fred
    Fred Member Posts: 8,542
    Options
    Technically you can't over vent a Main but you can put more venting on the main than the tapping can allow air to push out so, at some point you are just wasting money on vents. Those vents from Lowes and HD.are junk. Use a Big Mouth or Gorton #2.
  • gerry gill
    gerry gill Member Posts: 3,078
    Options
    what the heck is a Durst?
    gwgillplumbingandheating.com
    Serving Cleveland's eastern suburbs from Cleveland Heights down to Cuyahoga Falls.

• Mike Cascio
    Mike Cascio Member Posts: 143
    Options
    Those durst vents are complete JUNK. Dont wast your money on these vents. Get a gorton #2 or a barnes and jones big mouth and put it at the end of the main.