Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Are heattimer varivalves any good

acl10
acl10 Member Posts: 349
Are heattimer varivalves any good

Comments

• Mike Cascio
    Mike Cascio Member Posts: 143
    The short answer is NO, the long answer is that these vents are way too fast for radiator vents and usually cause more good than bad. You should be venting the mains FAST with a gorton #2 or a big mouth and the radiators slow. They should use (in order of venting capacity) gorton 4, hoffman 40, ventrite 11, ventrite 1, gorton 5, dole 1a and finally gorton 6. You shouldnt need a radiator vent faster than that. Thats what the main vents are for.
  • Mad Dog_2
    Mad Dog_2 Member Posts: 7,397
    They don't do what they claim to. The adjustment doesn't regulate at all Great company but for radiator vents, they are not my first choice. Mad Dog
  • Fred
    Fred Member Posts: 8,542
    Varivalves vent too aggressively, as Mike said. If you don't want to vent radiators with fixed venting vents and trial and error, the Vent-Rite #1 and the Hoffman #1A are both very good adjustable vents. Once you install them, you can easily adjust them to vent at an appropriate rate for each radiator/room to balance the system .
  • Mike Cascio
    Mike Cascio Member Posts: 143
    Also they are thermostatic vents. This means they will have a tendency to spit if any water gets near the vent. Most vents have a float that closes to water.
  • acl10
    acl10 Member Posts: 349
    The only place I put a varivalve on is on the riser in my kitchen and its working well. Since its a riser pipe no water is spitting out. On all the other radiators I have Gortons and one hoffman 40
  • Mad Dog_2
    Varivalves are very nice (great company), when a system is behaving. However, when you got wet steam, they will spit condensate across the room like a fish in a fountain. Mad Dog
  • dbrown
    dbrown Member Posts: 8
    I've been using them for years with no spitting or hissing. I think they're pretty awesome actually. However, I do have pretty consistent gentle water hammer on most radiators and louder on one in particular. Not sure if it's vent related but it could be.
  • Mad Dog_2
    When you have a system with wet steam, not only do they Not adjust, but they spout copious amounts of condensate. When a system is working pretty well, they are fine. Mad Dog