Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

How water hammer can damage a steam-to-water heat exchanger

HeatingHelp
HeatingHelp Administrator Posts: 664
edited February 2018 in THE MAIN WALL
How water hammer can damage a steam-to-water heat exchanger

Read the full story here

Comments

• Jackmartin
    Jackmartin Member Posts: 197
    This reminds me of an apprentice I sent to install a vacumn breaker on a 100 percent outside .air coil installation. I recieved a call that to this day makes me get a headache. That thing your guy put on is melting! What!!!! I go out to the site and the thing was in fact melting. The guy who knew everything had installed a vacumn breaker for potable water on the steam system. He would tell anyone who would listen he was God himself to the trade. Problemn was he was a backstabbing knuckle head I have never enjoyed firing anyone ,but I made an exception for him, ahole.
    All the best Jack
  • JUGHNE
    JUGHNE Member Posts: 11,200
    edited February 2018
    Having recalled reading this story some years ago in a magazine column. I installed new condensing water heaters in a hospital that had a boiler up on steam 24/7/365 for nearly 40 years.
    They have a good sized steam shell to water tube bundle for building heating. I removed a steam tube bundle from the old tank. So the boilers would be down most of the summer.

I printed the article out to convince the maint man that he need a vac breaker and also an air vent. They are now installed on the HXC. Had the hammer damage happened I would have been somewhat at fault for shutting down the steam.
    If no problem then he may wonder way did I sell those items? ;)
    One just has to sound convincing and it helps to have an article written by an authority who is at least 100 miles away.

BTW Dan, Thanks for it and others!