Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Copper fuel line Flaring Tool

Options
belham
belham Member Posts: 32
edited January 2018 in Oil Heating
Hi gang,

Thought some of you old-timers (and maybe the youngins') would get a kick out of my Flaring Tool.
Passed from my long ago deceased father to me. Dang things are mucho heavy, lol:

If I decide to install this new Afriso Flocop TL device, and I decide to flare the incoming suction fuel line fitting (and not use the German spec'd compression fittings), this above tool is what I'd be using. I don't need no brand new, ratcheting, Howdie-Doodie flarin' tool, lol. Old school is good enough for me. Only slight hesitation is my pipes are in mm, not Imperial sizes (1/4-5/8") like on my tool. Thus my 12mm copper falls between 7/16" (11.12mm) and 1/2" (12.7mm) on the above Chicago Specialty Tool. 0.88mm too small one way, 0.7mm too big the other. Not sure what to do since I know the copper needs to fit tight in order to be flared. Maybe just cram it in the 7/16" I guess.

Anyway, am still reading everything I can in the old HeatingWall.com threads and Google searches overall about Tigerloops before I come back & ask some questions if I decide to go that route (and not take the chance in leaving my current pipes alone till summer where I can lay new pipe). From what I've read so far, I am still a bit confused how a TL device (going from my 2 line to a 1-line setup) is going to help me. How is the Afriso Flocop going to fare any better in terms bringing oil into it? Yes, it will fool the Weishaupt burner in thinking it is still a 2-line system, but the Afriso still gotta use my Weishaupt burner fuel pump to bring oil into it, plus obviously using the very same now partially-gunked up incoming-suction line. So won't it too struggle? And may it end up frothing the incoming fuel inside it and not be able to de-aerate it?

When you read the fine print on any TL device, it is not encouraging. They keep yelping about not having too big an incoming-suction line, yada, yada, yada....like not having more than 1/4" diameter copper piping if the setup is over a 20ft run...or other juicy crap......well, he!!, my line coming in is already 12mm OD (10mm, I assume, ID) running a total of 21 ft. And the whole point is I DO NOT want to replace my copper lines now in the middle of winter, digging up house and frozen tundra....otherwise I wouldn't have bought the Afriso in the first-place. I don't know, maybe I am misunderstanding it all. Will start a separate thread for it I guess, since others might be interested.

Decades in, and still this European living & owning a "quite old home" adventure never ceases to keep me hopping :o Hope you enjoy the old tool pics above. I honestly am not sure how old this set of flaring tools is? 40 years? 50 years?? 60 years??? More???? I know my Dad was flaring on the various homes we lived in when I was a boy, back when no one had ever heard of the Beatles or Agent Orange (and Ike was ruling the roost---those were the days).

Comments

• Grallert
    Grallert Member Posts: 644
    Options
    I don't believe there is a need for you to flare your fuel lines. If you are concerned that your air leak is in the compression fitting than you could cut and replace that fitting. I think it's asking for trouble making your conversions. Just cap the return line and install your Afriso. That will likely get rid of your air and after drip issues. Than go ahead and replace your line come spring time. No harm no foul. Nice flare tool by the way.
    Miss Hall's School service mechanic, greenhouse manager,teacher and dog walker
  • Leonard
    Leonard Member Posts: 903
    edited January 2018
    Options
    Used a car brake line flaring tool that looked something like that recently for flaring my car high pressure hydraulic brake lines,

Used the new copper nickle tubing so would never rust again. The old brake flaring tool had trouble with soft copper lines, it held too tight and crushed them to oval. Maybe the flaring tools have a different amount of "bite" for steel VS copper tubing. I ended up adding shims so jaws of tool would not crush the softer copper-nickle brake line tubing, then it made good bubble flairs.