Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Crud on the sight glass

Garsha
Garsha Member Posts: 18
Along with other issues I've been having, the sight glass on the boiler is damp on the base with what smells like oil. I don't know what could cause this...

Comments

• EBEBRATT-Ed
    EBEBRATT-Ed Member Posts: 15,455
    You just need a new sight glass and new gaskets
    Garsha
  • Garsha
    The boiler is on it's second heating season. Is there any reason it would screw up so quickly?
  • Fred
    Fred Member Posts: 8,542
    Under that nut is a thick rubber washer and a flat brass washer. That compression nut was probably not tightened down enough and it allowed a little seepage.
    Garsha
  • Big Ed_4
    Big Ed_4 Member Posts: 2,762
    It's a leak , glass looks thin , , .. That mud in glass tells me you also have a few steam leaks
    I have enough experience to know , that I dont know it all
    Garsha
  • Garsha
    Thank you. Can you share with me how the condition of the water is a sign of steam leaks somewhere in the system (kitchen), also if and how that can cause the guage to go bad? I would really appreciate the lesson. I had no idea.
  • Big Ed_4
    Big Ed_4 Member Posts: 2,762
    No the glass gauge went bad from leaking . The leaking energy thins out the glass...

When water boils into an vapor it leaves behind minerals that was once diluted in soultion ... We call the minerals solids ...

Steam heat is an closed system , The vents act quickly and shut off once the steam enters its chamber.. The steam condenses when it gives off. its laiden heat .. The condensate returns back to boiler . There should be no water loss , only by the service flushing ... The mud is telling me your adding lots of water and steam is escaping ..Which is solids left behind ..

Set the thermostat to 80*and let it run up to steam pressure .. Walk around the house and basement and listen for the big leaks .. The small leaks check the radiator valve stem packing and loose radiator unions .. It will fog an mirror if your not sure ...

I have enough experience to know , that I dont know it all
    Garsha
  • Garsha
    Incredibly insightful! Thank you.