Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Recommended fittings for Burnham Baseray connections

Options
Lerch
Lerch Member Posts: 20
I am building a new home. Less than 800 s.f. Slab construction. Navien Combi boiler. I am using Burnham Baseray cast iron baseboards to heat the home in a simple series loop. I have 3/4 soft copper pipe insulated and secured in the concrete slab, ready for the baseboards. The circulator pump is set up to pump away from the diaphragm expansion tank.

I'm wondering how best to make the connections. It looks like the series loop is the very simplest setup. Page 6 of the Baseray install manual indicates that one-pipe fittings, shutoff valves, balancing cocks, and additional piping are eliminated using the series loop. And, page 8 seems to indicate that by connecting the supply and return lines to the top tapping, it is not even necessary to provide a vent:

VENTING
"When two or more BASE-RAY assemblies are connected in
series on a hot water job it is necessary to vent each assembly,
unless the assemblies are connected at the top tapping. "

I guess from the diagrams that it is more conventional to pipe into and out of the lower tappings. But, in my case, it may be advantageous to pipe to the upper tappings, as I can bend the pipe easier at that height than just above the floor.

So, it sounds like it could be as simple as providing a 90 at the top of each of the supply and return pipes. Is this a good plan? Would you include a union or shutoff valves? Any other fittings to consider?

Thanks for any help!

Al