Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

has anyone gotten this radiator valve apart?

rhodebump
rhodebump Member Posts: 152
Hi,

Before I struggle more... can these valves be taken apart? I put in a vise, used 24" wrench and it doesn't want to open.

Due to clearance/space issues, I am not able to spin the valve onto the pipe. My plan was to disassemble the valve and thread the body onto the pipe, and then install the stem.

Here is the valve and a picture:

https://www.supplyhouse.com/sh/control/product/~product_id=BSGV-1500

Thank you everyone!
Phillip

Comments

• rhodebump
    In case it's not clear, I am trying to remove it using this large nut where indicated in the pic

• Fred
    Fred Member Posts: 8,542
    You may have to put a pipe wrench on the round part. Put a rag around it to minimize scarring it.
  • NY_Rob
    NY_Rob Member Posts: 1,370
    edited January 2018
    If you look at the "submittal" sheet on supplyhouse, you can see the bonnet is threaded as is the valve body. Should be removable.
  • rhodebump
    Thanks! I did really scar it already, but that is a good tip for next time!
  • Larry Weingarten
    Larry Weingarten Member Posts: 3,272
    Hello, Maybe try quickly heating the bonnet a bit, to expand it, and then see if you can unscrew it. ;)

Yours, Larry
    adasilva
  • gerry gill
    gerry gill Member Posts: 3,078
    electric impact wrench with deep well sockets
    gwgillplumbingandheating.com
    Serving Cleveland's eastern suburbs from Cleveland Heights down to Cuyahoga Falls.

Canuckeradasilva
  • adasilva
    adasilva Member Posts: 144
    I have one of the same valves that rattles from worn parts and want to do the same thing to rebuild it and wondered if it would be a task for heat and or impact gun!!
  • hot_rod
    hot_rod Member Posts: 22,020
    Like Gerry said. You can get individual deep sockets from Harbor Freight fairly cheap. Even a long handle breaker bar or cheater on your ratchet. It eliminates rounding off the brass hex.i
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
    Living the hydronic dream
  • ChasMan
    ChasMan Member Posts: 462
    Chinese Krazy glue. Optimus prime couldn't pull that crap apart. Impact wrench if you have one or heat. Or buy an Apollo. They put loctite 246 on but not with a spray gun.
  • JUGHNE
    JUGHNE Member Posts: 11,042
    Do you have enough piping room to add another union on the other side of the valve? Wouldn't have to swing it then.
  • ScottSecor
    ScottSecor Member Posts: 849
    I'd be fearful of making the round part egg shaped. Do you really need a valve? How often will you need to shut off this radiator? Could you just use a union instead?
    JUGHNE
  • nicholas bonham-carter
    nicholas bonham-carter Member Posts: 8,576
    Or use a gate valve with the stem horizontal?—NBC
  • JUGHNE
    JUGHNE Member Posts: 11,042
    How about a picture of the old set up?
  • EBEBRATT-Ed
    EBEBRATT-Ed Member Posts: 15,452
    You need a big vise. Take the tailpiece off and clamp the valve in a vise "end to end" with a couple of pieces of wood on the vise jaws. I would hesitate using a pipe wrench on the round part as you might oval it as @ScottSecor mentioned. A little heat as @Larry Weingarten mentioned is ok.

Impact wrench and sockets are ok but if you dont't have them put a wrench on the hex, put some pressure on it and give it (the wrench handle) a good rap with a hammer.

If you don't have a vise, get a pc of pipe with a thread on 1 end about 2-3' long, screw the valve on it hand tight. Rest the pipe on the floor vertically and use it to lever against the wrench