Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.
Welcome! Here are some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.

Gas Burner Safety only shuts flow of gas - burner still operates

After some work had been done on a gas burner, I noticed that when the system hit the operating set-point for pressure (3.5 lbs), the flow of gas stopped; but the burner operation otherwise continued. When the pressure fell below the differential (1 lb), the gas flow and flame resumed. This happened repeatedly. I called back the mechanic and he said a contact was loose and fixed it. Presently, the burner does completely shut down and resume flame in a proper manner. My specific question: Is it possible that the mechanic addressed only the shutdown sequence for when the operating pressure set-point has been reached and failed to check the safety device which scans for flame in the furnace? When a flame is not detected during operation of burner, shouldn't a separate safety device shut the burner operation and flow of gas simultaneously? I am concerned for the future safe operation of this furnace. Thanks in advance

Comments