Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Steam Blow Down and Skim Procedure

Options
I recently had some pipe work done, see my last post, it has been bitter cold where I live so I have not had a chance to skim and blow down the boiler, but it looks like tomorrow it will get into the 50's for a short time, so I want to take that time to blow down and skim my boiler.

The sight glass looks like mud, so I figure I need it, question:
1. After I shut down the boiler how long should I leave it off before I start the process which will introduce cold new water?
2. I'm planning on using the blow down valve at the bottom to empty the boiler and hopefully expel sediment. Then to re-fill the boiler and empty it again. Finally I will over fill it and then open the skim tap near the top of the boiler and run a few buckets of water through. Finally I will drain the boiler to about 2/3rd s up the sight glass which is where it seems to like to be and restart. Does this sound like a good procedure or should I do it in a different order, or ore or less of any of the steps?

Thanks!

Comments

• EBEBRATT-Ed
    EBEBRATT-Ed Member Posts: 15,550
    Options
    The process of skimming is let's just say.......... 100 different ways of accomplishing this depending on who you talk to. I have my own way that works for me.

One note of caution. Don't refill a hot boiler with cold water. ADDING a little cold water at a time is ok.

I would suggest downloading the installation manual for your boiler. The skimming instructions should be in their.

If you can't find it download a manual for any Cast Iron boiler. The procedures may be slightly different but are ok