Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

One pipe main vents needed?

Options
2»

Comments

• AnthraciteEnergetics
    Options
    Lots of info to think over. I drilled and tapped my mains for 3/8 and put on the varivalves I bought for the rads that didnt work well (spit water, were noisy). They work well enough that I'm leaving them - but I just have a little 300 sq ft counterflow system with not a lot of pipe volume.
  • Paul48
    Paul48 Member Posts: 4,469
    Options
    A TRV is a thermostatic radiator vent, at least for purposes of a 1-pipe conversation. You have possibly the worst configuration for balancing. The theory is, a TRV will shut the flow of steam to the one radiator off the branch that is getting it and allow the other to heat. This is the short-term fix, and may help balance. The long-term fix is to re-pipe those tee'd mains.
  • pmchale
    pmchale Member Posts: 42
    Options
    Update: I heard back from the heating pro I had called. He indicated that they work on all systems, including steam. I explained the problem of unbalanced heating. He focused on the radiators vents (old-replace or adjust settings) and turning up the pressuretrol, which I now know is not the solution. He basically was telling me that my system does not run long enough to heat the whole house, which is not correct. So unfortunately, I do not have a pro to hand this to. I do however have a friend in the business that dabbles in this, which is good enough to at least get vents installed, and subsequent repiping, if needed.
  • pmchale
    pmchale Member Posts: 42
    Options
    Thanks for all of your comments about my problem. I think my best bet is to work with my friend that is a heating expert, and dabbles in steam. At the very least, he has the tools needed to add main vents properly, and give the system a good look. That probably will not happen during these winter months, but maybe. I will try to remember to report back, after some work has been done. I really appreciate the advice! If anyone wants to add any more comments, please feel free.