Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Overflowing Oil Tank

Options
dhancock
dhancock Member Posts: 4
The day after having a new motor put in our furnace (it ran great all night), the oil company overfilled the oil tank that was located outside, and the return valve that was not capped inside the furnace located in the laundry room, leaked oil all over the floor, causing the furnace to stop working. The next day some of the oil was syphoned out of the tank and the furnace was started again only to have a terribly strong oil smell all through the house all night long that was getting stronger. (The oil in the laundry room had been cleaned up) The furnace ran all night but when the thermostat was turned down in the morning, the furnace quit working again and will not start back up. Was this caused by the oil company overflowing the oil tank?

Comments

• EBEBRATT-Ed
    EBEBRATT-Ed Member Posts: 15,524
    Options
    Really can't say what is wrong with so little information. Sound like you have a few issues. If they spilled oil you may have the smell for a while.

I would call them back right away. If they spilled oil they are liable. You need someone competent to check this out. try 'find a contractor" on this site
  • STEVEusaPA
    STEVEusaPA Member Posts: 6,506
    Options
    Can you explain this statement a little better...

...the return valve that was not capped inside the furnace located in the laundry room, leaked oil all over the floor...

I don't know what that means.
    steve
    HVACNUT
  • Gordy
    Gordy Member Posts: 9,546
    Options
    Pinesol, and a mop will do wonders with that oil smell. I'd make them do it.
  • EBEBRATT-Ed
    EBEBRATT-Ed Member Posts: 15,524
    Options
    @Gordy smells better than lestoil which I think was originally developed to use on oil