Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Uneven heating in the zone

Options
RJMat
RJMat Member Posts: 1
I know i am in the midst of professionals and I am just a homeowner. I also suspect this issue must have been discussed but would appreciate your advice greatly.

We have four zones of baseboard hot water heating. One controls the upstair. Now there are 3 bedrooms upstairs and there is a thermostat in bedroom 1. However I find a temperature difference of up to 10 degrees between bedroom 1 and the others. I know that the water cools as it runs from one room to the other.

So my first request is to ask your help to find out how to trace the pipe that leads from the furnace out, how to follow it upstairs, find where it enters the up-stair crawl space (yes we have a crawl space running around the perimeter of the upstair floor) and how to find its return to the furnace. That should get me started. I have also heard that there could be more than one loop in a zone. How can I find out if the up-stair has more than one loop.

Thank you very much.

RJ

Comments

• HVACNUT
    HVACNUT Member Posts: 5,841
    edited January 2018
    Options
    I wouldn't worry about that.
    Think about relocating the thermostat. Central hall, if its not an open foyer is good.
    Is there an A/C thermostat in a hall? If so, you can merge them as long as the heat thermostat is low volt.
  • Jellis
    Jellis Member Posts: 228
    Options
    If you really want to trace the zone i would recomend turning every zone off and turning that 1 on it will be the hottest pipe, trace it and see where it goes, no easy way to do it really.
    however to fix your overheating problem you could move the thermostat to a more common area.
    if you have an adjustable fin on your baseboard you can close it some to get less radiation in the hot room. I have seen people strategically place furniture in front of baseboard to reduce the amount of radiation.
    on that note, make sure the baseboards are free of obstruction in the "cold" rooms.