Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Spirovent

Tom_133
Tom_133 Member Posts: 904
Wallies,

I installed a new heating system this past fall probably October, 6 zones, one of them being an indirect.

Got a call from the customer this past weekend, they had no heat in the garage or in the basement.
Found the garage modine was air bound, purged all good or so it seemed. Basement zone was frozen due to being piped in the outside wall. Wish I had known that when I installed the new boiler and we discussed glycol, and they decided it was unnecessary but none of us knew they had lines on the outside wall.

Got another call from them. This time they had 2 more zones not working. They now know how to purge and were needing to purge often. So I went there yesterday purged a few zones but noticed the brand new spirovent not functioning during purge or even when zones bound with air were cycling (loud air noise in pipe). I took apart the spirovent and cleaned it but found a green plastic plug on top of the metal cage inside the spirovent. Thats my question, is that suppose to be there? I removed it not knowing and put it back together then the vent started working.

Im curious if this 8 hours over 3 visits was caused by air, and that was due to a plastic plug from the manufacturer in the spirovent? Anyone know if they are suppose to be there?
Tom
Montpelier Vt

Comments

• newagedawn
    newagedawn Member Posts: 586
    never seen a plastic plug in one before, i know your never supposed to play with the metal piece on top
    "The bitter taste of a poor install lasts far longer than the JOY of the lowest price"
  • hot_rod
    hot_rod Member Posts: 22,787
    yes, the plug was recently added so when a fill valve is connected at the bottom connection it should not force the float up and prevent efficient venting at fill. So I've been told :)
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
    Living the hydronic dream
  • Tom_133
    Hot rod,

Thats exactly what I thought AFTER I put it back together. Hopefully it continues to work. So far its been ok, suppose to be -21 here tonight, cant let boilers go down
    Tom
    Montpelier Vt
  • hot_rod
    hot_rod Member Posts: 22,787
    Tom said:

Hot rod,

Thats exactly what I thought AFTER I put it back together. Hopefully it continues to work. So far its been ok, suppose to be -21 here tonight, cant let boilers go down

Interesting that after what, 30 years of that product someone had the great idea to plug the core, to eliminate a not uncommon & undesirable condition.

Stay warm up there.
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
    Living the hydronic dream
  • Tom_133
    I was wrong...
    If you zoom in its -32, the good news is its going to get to 13 above today!!
    Tom
    Montpelier Vt