Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Noisy Rad issue

Options
GW
GW Member Posts: 4,693
Anyone ever seen a bad tilted thread on a convector? This one doesn’t seem very friendly
Gary Wilson
Wilson Services, Inc
Northampton, MA
gary@wilsonph.com

Comments

• EBEBRATT-Ed
    EBEBRATT-Ed Member Posts: 15,546
    edited December 2017
    Options
    Looks like a CI convector so maybe they tapped it crooked. Doesn't look too bad in the pic.

What's wrong with it?? Leaking??

The fact that it's got Teflon all over it someone had it apart at some point after the original install

Hooked up 1 pipe

Does it hammer??
  • GW
    Options
    Yes for years it was cold and silent. We did some ductless this summer and my guy had them adjust some air vents. So then it heated up but it was making loud banging. I suggested a vapor stat and new main vents ( they were ancient) to try and mellow out the heat delivery. Nothing has been done yet
    Gary Wilson
    Wilson Services, Inc
    Northampton, MA
    gary@wilsonph.com
  • EBEBRATT-Ed
    EBEBRATT-Ed Member Posts: 15,546
    Options
    I think there's another tapping there for a return. It's water logged. If you could drip it into a wet return that will work.

If you don't have a return, pipe a return out of the other tapping down through the floor. Drop to the basement floor and then come back up (like a u tube manometer)
    Tee it into the supply main. You have to come in the bottom.

It's in Dan's book LAOSH
  • GW
    Options
    Ok thanks hadn’t thought of that—these people have other similar convectors on the 1st fl. I will pay attention to those (how they were piped) when I visit their home next time.

Yes this unit was relocated several decades ago
    Gary Wilson
    Wilson Services, Inc
    Northampton, MA
    gary@wilsonph.com
  • Chris_L
    Chris_L Member Posts: 336
    Options
    I have that same setup (one pipe) on a convector, though perhaps one section less. It is completely silent.

From you photos, it is hard to see how things are pitched. But it looks like the vent-rite vent is opened as far as it will go, 8+. which may be too fast. And it is not clear whether the radiator valve is open all the way.

In any case, if you are there when it is banging, you should be able to tell whether the banging is in the nipple or the radiator.

• GW
    Options
    Yes there was a remodel in the 70s or 80s and the run out in the basement has little to no pitch. Very tight space I didn’t crawl in to put level on it, my plumber eyes just spoke to me. I’m not the venting expert you are, if the rad is far away and long runs, don’t you want the vent opened up?
    Gary Wilson
    Wilson Services, Inc
    Northampton, MA
    gary@wilsonph.com
  • BobC
    BobC Member Posts: 5,478
    Options
    Usually you would want more venting but with little or no pitch you want to limit condensate in that pipe to see if it helps.

Bob
    Smith G8-3 with EZ Gas @ 90,000 BTU, Single pipe steam
    Vaporstat with a 12oz cut-out and 4oz cut-in
    3PSI gauge
    GW