Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

is there anything with the header and equalizer?

Options
Joseph_4
Joseph_4 Member Posts: 271
Hi,
I have a customer whose steam boiler started leaking after 5 years. The leak is in the lower back right corner. The manufacturers said not covered under warranty cuz they can tell it had a tilted water line. could the header above and the equalizer cause this? would love to hear from anyone who really understands near boiler piping
thanks
Joe
HHI Services LLC

Comments

• Danny Scully
    Danny Scully Member Posts: 1,425
    Options
    Did you install this boiler?
  • AnthraciteEnergetics
    Options
    Tilted pipes, but that doesnt necessarily affect performance, they look to be tilted the right way.

Is a tilted water line caused by the boiler itself not being level? I would imagine up to an inch out of level from one end/side to the other wouldnt hurt as long as it is kept full of water and the controls/LWCO all work even with the tilt. I've seen some bad ones, where they were bssically hanging from the steam mains.
  • acwagner
    acwagner Member Posts: 505
    Options
    If that boiler manufacture requires both supply tappings to be used for that sized boiler but only one is used, then you could get an tilted water line favoring the side with the tapping.
    Burnham IN5PVNI Boiler, Single Pipe with 290 EDR
    18 Ounce per Square Inch Gauge
    Time Delay Relay in Series with Thermostat
    Operating Pressure 0.3-0.5 Ounce per Square Inch

MilanDRomanGK_26986764589
  • STEAM DOCTOR
    STEAM DOCTOR Member Posts: 1,973
    Options
    @Joseph. Hard to tell from picture. Which way is boiler tilted? What is model of boiler? What size is the boiler Riser and header
  • STEAM DOCTOR
    STEAM DOCTOR Member Posts: 1,973
    Options
    @acwagner really depends on size of boiler, and size of riser. Steam would have to be moving at a significant speed to cause the non Riser side of the boiler to partially dry fire
  • Joseph_4
    Options
    I did install it,, The size header is 2.5 inches which was used. as per instructions. Only one tapping required by manufacturer.
    Size of Boiler is 150 btu input
    Joe
  • Joseph_4
    Options
    When I got there, wouldn't fire cuz out on low water. Manufacturer also said probe on left said might have gotten gunk on it and wasn't responding. Hydrolevel who makes LWCO says inspect every 5 yrs. This is the 5th yr season. When I do maintenance for others never really found gunk on them just discoloration. Most people don't do the maintenance
    Joe
  • MilanD
    MilanD Member Posts: 1,160
    Options
    Depending on the system, those probes can gunk up quickly. Also, with old wet returns, the muck makes it's way to the bottom of the boiler in a hurry. I like yearly inspection of all those safety devices, at the beginning of the season.
  • gerry gill
    gerry gill Member Posts: 3,078
    Options
    i agree that the use of one riser will slant the water, however if the manufacturer's manual allows one riser to be used on that size boiler then it shouldn't slant enough to cause an issue.

Was returning condensate perhaps an issue?
    gwgillplumbingandheating.com
    Serving Cleveland's eastern suburbs from Cleveland Heights down to Cuyahoga Falls.