Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Steam Boiler and Circulator Pump

reghi
reghi Member Posts: 17
I have a steam boiler heating the first and second floors off of which a circulator pump heats the basement. The circulator pump needs to be replaced, but my heating system insurance by Home Serve USA is telling me that I need to pay, because that is "improper use" of a circulator pump which is specifically covered by the warranty. Are they correct, or are they just trying to get out of paying a claim. Mind you this heating insurance is costing me $25/month

Comments

• newagedawn
    newagedawn Member Posts: 586
    what state you in?, check your local codes
    "The bitter taste of a poor install lasts far longer than the JOY of the lowest price"
  • reghi
    I'm in New York City and I can tell you that a lot of people have the same setup.
  • See “running a hot water loop off a steam boiler” here.
    This is a perfectly acceptable arrangement, and most likely the boiler manufacturer has provided specific toppings for the connections.
    Show the insurance company this, and they should pay up.
    What is the deductible?—NBC
  • reghi
    edited December 2017
    Nicholas, can you post the link to "running a hot water loop off a steam boiler", because it's missing.

I figured it's an acceptable arrangement, because I believe the boiler was installed by a licensed plumber.

I told the insurance company, that t the burden of proof is on them that this is an improper installation. The guy tried to tell me that this would void the circulator pump warranty, so I got a copy of the warranty and showed him that the pump is rated for 240 degrees, well above the 180 degrees that the boiler runs on. Then he said that "boiling water" would shorten the pump life to less than 6 months and that Home Serve cannot be responsible for such claims. Now, that made me chuckle because this is the first time the pump needed changing since the boiler was installed. But he did not let facts impact his made up theory.

Lastly, they agreed to replace as a one time courtesy (bulls**t). But, I do want to get proof that this is not an improper installation. I actually lost more money fighting this than if I had replaced the cirulator pump, but I was not paying for a home warranty and getting a claim dismissed.
  • Fred
    Fred Member Posts: 8,542
    edited December 2017
    You need to try to avoid these kinds of issues in the future, if at all possible. When you make a repair request for an issue, on the hot water loop, tell HS-USA your hot water heating system has a problem. When you have a problem with your steam system, tell HS-USA, your steam heating system has a problem.
    When the common component, the boiler has an issue, tell them your boiler has a problem.
    The call center people aren't technicians. A hot water loop on a steam boiler is fine. It's done all the time. Any decent service tech coming to your home will know (or should know) exactly what he/she is looking at.
  • DanHolohan
    DanHolohan Member, Moderator, Administrator Posts: 16,578
    edited December 2017
    Contractors have been installing hot-water zones off of steam boilers since long before I was born, and I'm creeping up on 68. Here's how they do it:

https://heatinghelp.com/systems-help-center/how-to-run-a-hot-water-zone-off-a-steam-boiler/
    Retired and loving it.
  • reghi
    It wasn't the rep on the phone, it was the tech that came out. All I told them on the phone is that there is no heat, that's it. The tech told me that it's not covered since it's a steam boiler. Then, when I escalated the issue to the supervisor, he was giving me this non-sense that it's "improper use". However, it appears that it's just an excuse to not honor a claim. I told the supervisor that he needs to prove it to me that it is improper use and not me having to prove it to him.

At the end, they are honoring it, but there was no need for this aggravation.
  • reghi
    Dan is there any manufacturer installation manual or code reference to such an installation you can point me to. This way I can show them written proof, which is what they requested.
  • DanHolohan
    Most circulators are rated for 240 degrees F., which the circulator will never see. That's in the specs and it should be proof enough if the person is reasonable. The water temperature gets tempered to 180 degrees F., and if that should fail, the hottest the condensate can be is 212 degrees F., which is less than 240. That's basic physics. Circulator manufacturers have known for as long as I can remember, and for as long as the generation before me can remember, that contractors use their products for this service. Growing up, the old-timers told me they called this The Brooklyn Special. There must be tens of thousands of them out there working as we're talking about how this guy says they won't work.

Show him this and tell him to come visit here.
    Retired and loving it.
  • reghi
    He didn't say it doesn't work, he said it's an "improper installation" and therefore not covered under the policy. However, the policy is for up to 3 zones, and I have 2 and specifically includes circulator pumps.

Just a typical sleazy insurance company trying to weasle out of paying for a covered claim.
  • DanHolohan
    He needs to show you something from the circulator manufacturer that says it's not an approved installation. I know of no circulator manufacturer that has said that. It's on him; he made the statement. Now he needs to prove it.
    Retired and loving it.