Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Water feeder

Put in an XT120 a few weeks ago. It's a simple one pipe system in a smaller home. The owner had been hand feeding the steam boiler, but wants to sell the house so he's modernizing.

Today he called that the boiler was over fed, and water came out of one of the radiator vents. He's pretty hands on so he lowered the water level back to normal and shut the ball valve on the feed. When I get there the feeder reads LOC which makes sense since he closed the ball valve. I reset the error code and we see that the feeder reads 177. The homeowner had been keeping an eye on it now and again, and it had read 002. That's a lot of water.

He has a #67 which I tested a few times and seems to work perfectly. Nearly all of the return piping is above water so no leaks. I suppose the #67 could have stuck once. Anything else I should be looking for?

The feeder is set to LWCO. It has been set with a 30 second delay, but I changed that to the factory 2 minute delay today.

Comments

• Fred
    Fred Member Posts: 8,542
    Did you skim the boiler after installation? If there is a lot of oil on the surface of the water, it will push water out into the returns.
    Do you have the MM#67 installed in the right location, typically on a tee at the bottom of the sight glass?
  • Big Ed_4
    Big Ed_4 Member Posts: 2,894
    The 67 needs an new float and switch assemble ... Thinking 444 is the number . Crud or an leaking bellow , clean and replace with new.. Change the flush to an ball valve while your at it .. Don't for get to clean the housing out good

Better off going probe if you have an easy proper port ... Augh! Good luck with that :))

There was an error rendering this rich post.

• 177 gallons is a lot of water. I'd say something is going on besides the LWC. Did the owner really want the feeder because he got tired of adding water almost every day?
    New England SteamWorks
    Service, Installation, & Restoration of Steam Heating Systems
    newenglandsteamworks.com
  • j a_2
    j a_2 Member Posts: 1,801
    Fred said:

Did you skim the boiler after installation? If there is a lot of oil on the surface of the water, it will push water out into the returns.
    Do you have the MM#67 installed in the right location, typically on a tee at the bottom of the sight glass?

I don’t see where he said he installed the boiler, just the XT120. Hopefully he warned the HO, he still has to pay attention, to the boiler...love to see a picture
  • Just to make sure there is no leak in the boiler, do the overfilling test, and let it sit for an hour.—NBC
  • EBEBRATT-Ed
    EBEBRATT-Ed Member Posts: 15,998
    If it's not on the floor it either evaporated off the floor, leaking vents, or went up the chimney