Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

what size hex to put in a new trap tail piece?

Options
I was putting in a new steam trap and the flared fitting has a hex on the inside of the fitting. It's bigger than the 3/8 size hex that I had, and bigger than anything they sell at lowes.

Here is a picture of it, with a dime alongside for size comparison. I was able do to that by putting it on a glass table and taking the picture from under the table (in case you were wondering).

Thanks!
Phillip

Comments

• nicholas bonham-carter
    Options
    Where did the steam trap come from?—NBC
  • GW
    GW Member Posts: 4,692
    Options
    Get a torx set
    Gary Wilson
    Wilson Services, Inc
    Northampton, MA
    gary@wilsonph.com
  • acwagner
    acwagner Member Posts: 505
    edited December 2017
    Options
    You could also take it to the hardware store with you and try different bolts heads in it. If its about the size of a dime it's probably 5/8", which would correspond to a 7/16" bolt.
    Burnham IN5PVNI Boiler, Single Pipe with 290 EDR
    18 Ounce per Square Inch Gauge
    Time Delay Relay in Series with Thermostat
    Operating Pressure 0.3-0.5 Ounce per Square Inch

rhodebump
  • rhodebump
    rhodebump Member Posts: 152
    Options
    The steam trap came from State Supply. It's a Mepco 1E https://www.statesupply.com/dm1059
  • Neild5
    Neild5 Member Posts: 167
    Options
    It is probably 5/8. The bolt and nut work, but Pat a large washer on the bolt so it doesn't drop thru.
  • EBEBRATT-Ed
    EBEBRATT-Ed Member Posts: 15,524
    Options
    I have also used square stock larger than the hex and grind it to fit. Takes a little bit of work though.

You could also buy a bolt with a hex head larger than you need and grind it to fit if you cant find one that fits
  • R Dougan
    R Dougan Member Posts: 42
    Options
    You can buy a single 5/8" allen wrench from Fastenal - I forget how much but it wasn't bad as I recall. I used it to put in the 4 Big Mouths on my system that had a similar tailpiece. (bring the tailpiece to the store to verify fit, ...sorry, ...you knew that.)