Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Slant-Fin Sentry boiler whining / squeaking / whale sound noise

cixel
cixel Member Posts: 2
edited December 2017 in Plumbing
I've got a Slant-Fin Sentry boiler that has developed a cyclic whining / squeaking / whale sound noise (2-3 seconds every 10-15). It sounds like a diaphragm that's slowly filling a toilet type sound. It typically happens after the burner is off for a while and the unit is coming back to temp (but not right away). It's not the expansion tank (tried changing that). It sounds like the whining is coming from inside the unit, but not from the burner as when you turn down the Gas valve the sounds stays at the same volume. I hear it more from the rear of the unit than the front. I had my plumber here today to take a look and he was unsure where else to look, so I thought I'd reach out to you to see if you had any other ideas or someone might be familiar with the inside unit to think about what piece might be doing this. The pressure of the unit is ok. This is a recently developed problem this season and the boiler itself is 4 years old.

Could this be something like microbubble steam flash occurring on this unit?

Comments

• Keith M
    Keith M Member Posts: 78
    Hello, please ask your contractor to call Slant/Fin Technical Services Department at 516 484 2600. Technical Services is open 9am to 5pm EST and we try to have someone available until 7pm Monday thru Friday. Please ask the contractor to have the model and serial number of the boiler available.
    Thank you,
    Keith Muhlmeister
    Slant/Fin Corporation
    516 484 2610 ext. 367
  • Erin Holohan Haskell
    Erin Holohan Haskell Member, Moderator, Administrator Posts: 2,276
    Thanks, @Keith M! Fantastic customer service from Slant/Fin.
    President
    HeatingHelp.com
  • cixel
    cixel Member Posts: 2
    Super. Thanks. I've put a call in and hopefully he'll touch base soon.