Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

electric base not installed right ?

Options
Had the landlords "screw off" install an electric base heater in my kitchen to keep it warmer while waiting for my bathroom base heaters to be fixed . it was supposed to be a small floor unit but was installed side ways due to no room .. the controls are on the top . AM I correct in assuming that the little thermostat is there as well ? It shuts off and stays off until it cools off. Or am I the idiot ?

Comments

• EBEBRATT-Ed
    EBEBRATT-Ed Member Posts: 15,543
    Options
    No, your not an idiot. But your landlord and his "screw off" certainly are. I am an licensed electrician in (3 states).

They need to have someone with a brain install this correctly. Preferbely someone with a license. Air flow through a baseboard electric heater needs to go vertical from bottom to top, upward like a chimney.

It is a pc of electrical equipment and needs to be installed in accordance with it's listing (by UL) and in accordance with the mfg instructions which do not include it laying on it's back.

Could be a fire hazard.

I am sure he hooked it up with an extension cord etc.

I am not a fan of portable electric space heaters, but one of those plugged into a properly wired outlet would be much safer
  • kitchenwitch
    kitchenwitch Member Posts: 2
    Options
    ok . maybe I am not using the correct terms . this is not portable . It is fixed and hardwired. the part I am having a hard time with is, these are to be secured to the wall { by the floor horizontally } with about 3/4 of an inch space from the floor for air flow and the screw off secured it vertically. with the temp dial at the top .Is the thermostat on the top by the dial? Do I need to flip it and rewire or just not use it ..thanks in advance and thank you for replying .
    thanks again. freezing my arse off
  • Leon82
    Leon82 Member Posts: 684
    Options
    Assuming it's was at least wired correctly it should work,just not as effective.

I wouldn't go rotating it, keep it the landlords mess
  • AnthraciteEnergetics
    Options
    If it is truly a baseboard heater (long/skinny), there is sometimes a thermostat on the unit (less than ideal, but they are made because they make for a cheap and easy install). Also an overtemp switch inside (thin copper tube running along back of inside of unit). If it is mounted with those pointed up one or both will turn the unit off as you mentioned. Baseboard heaters need to be mounted horizontal in order to work properly.
  • unclejohn
    unclejohn Member Posts: 1,833
    Options
    This all I know about the electric bass.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sIzHPBPmiM8
  • EBEBRATT-Ed
    EBEBRATT-Ed Member Posts: 15,543
    Options
    As I said before the heater must be horizontal...long way left to right. Heater must be vertical with the wide side against the wall.

It will not work properly (if at all) in any other position and may trip the high limit.

Personally I wouldn't touch it. Make the "screw off" fix it. It's their mess

Call your local building dept or electrical inspector and rat them out.

But be prepared to move