Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Replacing the Aquastat on a ss-30 HTP tank

Options
mcassani
mcassani Member Posts: 7
I need to replace the aquastat on my water heater but the oil company says you cant and tried to sell me a new tank. It that true? Seems like an easy replacement if I can get the part.

Comments

• EBEBRATT-Ed
    EBEBRATT-Ed Member Posts: 15,545
    Options
    How about a few pictures. You should be able to replace it.

What problem are you having with the water heater?
  • mcassani
    Options
    here is the unit
  • unclejohn
    unclejohn Member Posts: 1,833
    Options
    Looks like a dry well. Why they ran hard pipe for 18 gauge wire I don't know local codes maybe. You should be able to get another L4080B1295 honeywell and off you go.
  • mcassani
    Options
    I did find one but do I need to replace the pipe it slides into in the water heater?
  • mcassani
    Options
    The conduit is from the original install. The unit is 19 years old.
  • unclejohn
    Options
    No that is a dry well. The new control normally comes with some goop that gets every where so use it sparingly.
  • HVACNUT
    HVACNUT Member Posts: 5,841
    Options
    What issues are you having?
    There should be a screw on the opposite side from the pic holding the aquastat to the well. Loosen the screw and pull the whole assembly out of the well.
    Is the well stainless? It should be. Not brass.
  • j a_2
    j a_2 Member Posts: 1,801
    Options
    Do us a favor and ask the oil guys what’s the reason for needing a tank replacement....Are the oil guys a tech. company or just a delivery company....sounds fishy but one never knows, not being there on site....
  • mcassani
    Options
    There from the service dept of the delivery company. The probe is brass but the housing tube (i think called the dry well) looks stainless.
  • Grallert
    Grallert Member Posts: 644
    Options
    That's a brass fitting with a copper well tube. Unless it is leaking or the aquastat bulb is seized in side if it , there is no reason to replace the well. But as asked before is there a reason to replace the aquastat? They do fail but not that often. Is it not calling the boiler or pump?
    Miss Hall's School service mechanic, greenhouse manager,teacher and dog walker
  • mcassani
    Options
    The old aquastat comes right out so it's not seized. It's not regulating correctly. I turned it to max and the water gets warm just not hot. It's also 19 years old so had to go at some point I assume. The dry well is not leaking
  • Grallert
    Options
    so you should be able to simply replace it. It's easy to do and they're not expensive.
  • mcassani
    Options
    Thanks for all the help. I'll replace it tonight and let you know how it goes.
    Grallert
  • HVACNUT
    HVACNUT Member Posts: 5,841
    Options
    > @Grallert said:
    > That's a brass fitting with a copper well tube. Unless it is leaking or the aquastat bulb is seized in side if it , there is no reason to replace the well.

SS specs a stainless well.
  • Grallert
    Options
    HVACNUT said:

> @Grallert said:

> That's a brass fitting with a copper well tube. Unless it is leaking or the aquastat bulb is seized in side if it , there is no reason to replace the well.

SS specs a stainless well.

I stand corrected. I thought I recall brass but it's been a number of years since I've installed one.
    Either way usually no need to replace the well.
  • j a_2
    j a_2 Member Posts: 1,801
    Options
    O P, Wondering if the oil techs gave you an explanation as to why the wanted to change out the indirect...just curious
  • EBEBRATT-Ed
    EBEBRATT-Ed Member Posts: 15,545
    Options
    When a tech doesn't know what to do, or what is wrong they say( "replace it, it's old").

Then you know it's time to replace the tech.

When someone want's to replace something really old for no reason they will say it's junk. I say if it's junk it wouldn't have lasted this long
  • unclejohn
    Options
    It could be that the stat is fine and the tank coil is plugged up.