Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

The Story of Mel Dubin of Slant/Fin

HeatingHelp
HeatingHelp Administrator Posts: 635
edited December 2017 in THE MAIN WALL
The Story of Mel Dubin of Slant/Fin

If you never got to meet Mel Dubin you missed one of the better people who ever dreamed and invented and built something good, something that helped raise thousands of American families.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Dougo
    Dougo Member Posts: 8
    I came to know Mel when I started at Slant/Fin in 1978. Anytime I saw him, he always asked how things were going. I'll never forget him.
  • Noel
    Noel Member Posts: 177
    Nice article, Dan. Mel was a really kind man. One of a kind.
    Noel
  • Robert O'Brien
    Robert O'Brien Member Posts: 3,540
    edited December 2017
    I'm there right now!
    To learn more about this professional, click here to visit their ad in Find A Contractor.
  • csigona
    csigona Member Posts: 6
    You mentioned that the Mel interviews are available at SlantFin, but I can't find them there. If you have a link, please let us know.
  • WayneMech
    WayneMech Member Posts: 53
    A good mensch, indeed. A writer friend of mine, lives on The Isle of Long, is in the same category. Wish I could have known Mel, too.
  • DanHolohan
    DanHolohan Member, Moderator, Administrator Posts: 16,512
    Thanks, guys. The interviews are on Slant/Fin's FB page:https://www.facebook.com/SlantFin/videos/1029565267086149/
    Retired and loving it.
  • Hammer
    Hammer Member Posts: 14
    Great tribute, Dan! Thanks for sharing. It's good to know that both Mel Dubin and Gil Carlson are probably working together to keep St Peter warm and cozy!
  • DanHolohan
    Nice thought, Hammer. Thanks!
    Retired and loving it.
  • InsideOilDave
    InsideOilDave Member Posts: 24
    Dan, you are a true people aficionado! (Did I just coin a phrase?) Sounds like Mel was a people aficionado too! Wish I would have met him.
    As always your story telling is memorable. Phrase of the day: "... with a smile you could pour on a waffle,"
    Thanks for making me smile this afternoon. Now I'll have to go find a waffle. ;-)
    Erin Holohan Haskell
  • Robert O'Brien
    I was at the adjoining table during the 2008 NAOHSM awards banquet and believe me he was very moved by the honor.
    To learn more about this professional, click here to visit their ad in Find A Contractor.
  • DanHolohan
    Thanks, Dave. ;-)
    Retired and loving it.
  • Ed_Kearney
    Ed_Kearney Member Posts: 1
    I just met Mel tonight! He's at least 94.
  • Mad Dog_2
    Mad Dog_2 Member Posts: 6,831
    Great article on a local boy done good. Mel and Slant fin put a lot in to the education of the working man of the industry. I remember meeting the late, great Tom Schwarz, and many others in Slant Fin classes when we both starting out. Jim Erhardt , Larry & Amir Amir were teaching us. The classes were frequent, very informative, and CHEAP! (very nominal admin. Fees) and many times free. They always put out a great spread at chow time and you always left with a slant fin bag loaded with hats and shirts.
    The BBQ's in the rear of the wooded property every year were not to be missed. And of course whenever you called The company, you were greeted by a Grand Dame, Mrs Phyliss Finkle:
    "Hello..SLANT FINNNNN!" Slant fin and Mel Dubin A New York legend . Thank you Mel and Dan. Mad Dog
    Noel
  • Robert O'Brien
    Not to mention keeping the factory on the North Shore of Nassau County, not a cheap place and not friendly to manufacturing
  • Mad Dog_2
    Mad Dog_2 Member Posts: 6,831
    Great point! Mad Dog
    Robert O'Brien
  • DanHolohan
    And Adam Dubin continues that legacy. To me, these guys are heroes.
    Retired and loving it.
    Robert O'Brien
  • DeMott2000
    DeMott2000 Member Posts: 1
    edited December 2017
    I was fortunate to meet Mr. Dubin and work for him for a short. Thank you for sharing what few know about this brilliant and kind man. And Adam, he would be proud. You have become your own man, and a good one.
    George
    Robert O'Brien
  • DanHolohan
    Thanks, George. You and I were both lucky to have spent time with him. He was a great man.
    Retired and loving it.