Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Sunrad casting issue

over the past few months, at the same residence and the same location, we have had to remove and replace cast iron Governale sunrads FOUR consecutive times. All were brand new and developed a crack in the casting and leaked within several days of install (some leaks were severe creating much damage) the leaks were all in similar places in the middle of the section. the leak has never been from the common push nipples, plugs or bleeder.

This is in a residential building with a low pressure (12-15 psi) hot water system. water temp has not exceeded 170 degrees. Outdoor temp has varied from mild to warm eliminating the possibility of cold draft being an influence on the casting. Again, the cracks did not appear until after several days. I assume the heating/cooling cycles must be present for the cracks to happen.

I was recently told that the radiators are now made overseas (China) and I suspect that in the manufacturing of the metals something went wrong or the process was compromised.

Has anyone experienced this recently or anything similar?
I don't know where to turn or what product/manufacturer to go to or how to pay for the cost to repair the water leaks have caused to the residence

Any insight or advice would be appreciated

Thank you
Steve

Comments

• Fred
    Fred Member Posts: 8,542
    Have you contacted the supplier or the manufacturer? Have you checked for any recalls? I hate to say it but if these are produced in China, they are suspect, as far as I am concerned.
    RomanGK_26986764589SuperTech
  • JUGHNE
    JUGHNE Member Posts: 11,201
    But if their name is on them, it is just part of the outsourcing learning curve.
  • JohnNY
    JohnNY Member Posts: 3,284
    Are you sure you're using Governale and not OCS? I've been told for years that OCS is "the same product but made in China" and so, of course, I've tried to use Governale whenever possible. I've had far more trouble with OCS leaking between sections than I've ever had with Governale but the truth is lately that a couple of my suppliers recently dropped Governale stating "we just can't deal with (them) anymore".
    OCS has a more comprehensive product line and their customer service is responsive.
    Calling Governale feels like you're bothering them, but, historically I've had better luck with the product. If they've moved manufacturing to China then they've removed the incentive to stick with them.
    Contact John "JohnNY" Cataneo, NYC Master Plumber, Lic 1784
    Consulting & Troubleshooting
    Heating in NYC or NJ.
    Classes
    SuperTech
  • Sal Santamaura
    Sal Santamaura Member Posts: 532
    Fred said:

...I hate to say it but if these are produced in China, they are suspect, as far as I am concerned.

There's no reason not to say it. It's an accurate observation, and isn't limited to the cast iron products this thread is about. It applies to anything, including (and especially) textiles.

Back on topic, I don't see anything on the Governale site

http://www.governaleindustries.com/products/gov-free/

about a "Sunrad." Which of their products does "Sunrad" refer to? Also, can anyone say whether U.S. Boiler's / Burnham's cast iron emitters are the same as Governale's, as well as if they too are made in China? Thanks in advance.

• Mark N
    Mark N Member Posts: 1,115
    edited December 2017
    "Sunrad" was the name of a type of radiator manufactured by the American Standard Company. Burnham, Governale, and OCS manufacture a similar radiator. Burnham calls it "Radiant", Governale a "Gov Free", and OCS a "Cast Ray".
    347 Member Posts: 143
    They are governale radiators. I spoke to Governance and the rep. Was told that they are made in China but under the supervision of Burnham Corp. (Who bought Governance aboit 10 years ago).
    Three Governale leaked and one other one from China, for a total of four that leaked.

• NY_Rob
    NY_Rob Member Posts: 1,370
    Pretty sneaky....
    I bought/installed some Gov-Board (cast iron baseboard) over the summer and no where on the castings did it say "Made in China" or "China" or anything else indicating it was not made here.

That's terrible!

I just looked at the warranty for Governdale products.... one year :/
    347 Member Posts: 143
    According to the rep, the cast iron baseboard is still made here in the good ole USA. Sunrad are out sourced to stay competitive. Real competitive when you get three bad ones in a row.
  • NY_Rob
    Hows that profit margin when you have to replace three of them under warranty?
    They need to pay for your labor and any damages too.

FWIW- the CI baseboard (apparently still made here) had no leaks between sections.
  • Last year I tried to buy a new rad from Governale but they told me they don't sell to homeowners.... So I had to buy from OCS. So far the OCS rad works as expected. (knock on wood)
    Interesting, both Governale and OCS web cites look very similar.
  • NY_Rob
    ^ you order Governdale rads through your local supply house and pick it up there.
  • falconecorp
    falconecorp Member Posts: 2
    met with rep yesterday, he was surprised at what was happening and had no explanation. says he will do what he can to assist.... ill keep you posted.....
    Thanks to all the replies and insight... it is appreciated!!
  • Pollyc
    Pollyc Member Posts: 1
    I had the same thing happened with the Governale radiator recently. In January of 2020 a second replacement unit cracked gateway for no reason. It had been in place for 6 months. The original Governale radiator had been in place for about the same amount of time in the same location before it cracked. Although I am getting a replacement they can't replace my lack of peace of mind in their product.