Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Vent & Cover

New England SteamWorks
New England SteamWorks Member Posts: 1,521
edited December 2017 in Strictly Steam

Best course of action to save big bucks quick. Don't get caught with naked pipes that can't vent quickly or you'll pay and pay...

This customer saw the light and now his system is purring quietly and just sipping fuel.

Nice:

New England SteamWorks
Service, Installation, & Restoration of Steam Heating Systems
newenglandsteamworks.com

Comments

• hvacfreak2
    hvacfreak2 Member Posts: 500
    It's amazing the difference that makes.

I just got all of the materials to complete my header insulation , this thread is almost motivating me go down and finish it.
    hvacfreak

Mechanical Enthusiast

Burnham MST 396 , 60 oz gauge , Tigerloop , Firomatic Check Valve , Mcdonnell Miller 67 lwco , Danfoss RA2k TRV's

Easyio FG20 Controller

• Almost?

Got you covered:

New England SteamWorks
    newenglandsteamworks.com
    EzzyTRomanGK_26986764589
  • hvacfreak2
    hvacfreak2 Member Posts: 500
    Ha ha, that might just do it. I did the straight sections last week and I now have the fittings and pvc jacket. Time consuming and tedious . I noticed a huge difference just doing what I did , the system piping is insulated and I didn't think the header would matter much but I was wrong on that.
    hvacfreak

Mechanical Enthusiast

Burnham MST 396 , 60 oz gauge , Tigerloop , Firomatic Check Valve , Mcdonnell Miller 67 lwco , Danfoss RA2k TRV's

Easyio FG20 Controller

• I noticed a huge difference just doing what I did , the system piping is insulated and I didn't think the header would matter much but I was wrong on that.

Thank you. Can't tell you how often this topic comes up and I have seen too many times first-hand how much a difference it makes to insulate not just the pipes, but the fittings and the near boiler piping. And yet, folks continue to try and make a case that it is unimportant...

New England SteamWorks
    newenglandsteamworks.com
  • STEVEusaPA
    STEVEusaPA Member Posts: 6,505

Almost?

Got you covered:

That's not engineered properly. Pulling the cord will send the boot in the wrong direction.

Beautiful on the installation of the insulation.

There was an error rendering this rich post.

Neild5Canucker
  • Ha! Right! It'll kick him in the head!
    New England SteamWorks
    newenglandsteamworks.com
    Kahooli
  • TroyDS
    TroyDS Member Posts: 1
    Id like to insulate my pipes on a steam system. Can you recommend a good supplier (online preferable)? I am based in the philadelphia area. This is my third heating season and trying to reduce my nat gas bill.
    Thanks!
  • BobC
    BobC Member Posts: 5,489
    Be warned the shipping costs for pipe insulation is pretty hefty because of it's length. Check the price (including shipping) online and then try to find a local source.

Bob
    Smith G8-3 with EZ Gas @ 90,000 BTU, Single pipe steam
    Vaporstat with a 12oz cut-out and 4oz cut-in
    3PSI gauge
    TroyDSRomanGK_26986764589
  • The source listed above is in NY. For us in MA/RI the shipping is not bad at all, and the OP is in PA, so he should be fine as well.

But otherwise I agree. It's not the length however. My understanding is there is a special shipping rate for things like insulation and foam that are relatively large, but light-weight. These type of parcels don't get billed by weight, but cube or some such.
    New England SteamWorks
    newenglandsteamworks.com
  • acwagner
    acwagner Member Posts: 505
    edited December 2017
    I've used them and it was affordable. I'm in Michigan. I did about half my system that way. I'd recommend you purchase it all at once instead of small little buys so they can pack the boxes with as much stuff as possible.

I'd prefer to buy locally, but, as a homeowner with a day job, sometimes its difficult to get to supply stores during business hours without taking time off. Life is full of trade-offs.
    Burnham IN5PVNI Boiler, Single Pipe with 290 EDR
    18 Ounce per Square Inch Gauge
    Time Delay Relay in Series with Thermostat
    Operating Pressure 0.3-0.5 Ounce per Square Inch

• BobC
    BobC Member Posts: 5,489
    I worked as a technician for USPS for 8 years. Larger packages that don't weigh much have to be sorted by hand and they charge more for that.

Most parcels are sorted on a machine that is several hundred feet long and looks like an elevated race track each parcel sits on a 18"(?) square pad. A camera finds and reads the address and that square pad tilts and dumps the parcel into the correct tub according to the sort plan.

The post office will pay anything to shed workers but that is true of all industry these days. Your only hope is to be the guy who fixes the machines.

Bob
    Smith G8-3 with EZ Gas @ 90,000 BTU, Single pipe steam
    Vaporstat with a 12oz cut-out and 4oz cut-in
    3PSI gauge