Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Knowledgeable steam repair in Western New York State

Options
Recently purchased a home built in 1910 that has a two pipe system with no traps and air vents on the radiators. Looking for someone between Rochester and Buffalo NY who has experience working with these systems. Have some rooms not heating, while others overheat. Also have some banging going on with some. I used the Find a Contractor part of this page but the only option it showed was a considerable distance from me. Thanks!

Comments

• Silkey
    Silkey Member Posts: 18
    Options
    I am also looking for some knowledgeable help with a Low Pressure Steam System. I believe my near boiler piping needs to be done correctly. Its easy to compare my manual with whats there, and it is definitely not right, and was done in copper.

Columbine, you should add the model of your boiler and some pictures of the piping and gauges. There is a ton of info on this site. From my understanding, which was gained from this site and Greening Steam, two pipe systems don't have Air Vents on the Radiators, just at the end of the Steam Mains in the Basement.

Not sure about no traps, one of my radiators just has an elbow, but the rest have Safety Vapor or Hoffman 17c traps.

Silly question but someone has to ask:
    The radiators that dont heat, have you opened the valve all the way and tried closing the hot ones most of the way?

Have you drained the return lines at all?
    Do you drain a small amount out of the Low Water cut off once a week or so?