Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

BTU Output for specific Radiator

Options
Hello Everyone, I acquired this radiator from my neighbor. I was wondering if someone knew
1. The BTU output - There are seven sections.
2. The amount of air in each section, so i could calculate the proper steam vent to use.
3. The dimensions are 24 1/2 inches - Tall - 36 inches in width.

Any help would be appreciated ,

Thanks Brian

Pics Below

Comments

• DanHolohan
    DanHolohan Member, Moderator, Administrator Posts: 16,528
    Options
    That's a Weil-McLain Raydiant radiator. They designed it to fit in a recess (4-1/8" or 7-3/4") in the wall, and they depth you choose for the recess determines the radiator's output. The recess is what provides the space for air convection. This is not a free-standing radiator.
    Retired and loving it.
  • Bigbri0104
    Bigbri0104 Member Posts: 28
    Options
    Thanks for response Dan! I'm still new to steam heat, so for this type of Radiator it needs to be recessed into the wall, which you mentioned.
    Can you explain how the air convection works?

Thanks for your time,

Brian
  • Bigbri0104
    Options
    Dan, I have also purchased and have been reading your book "The lost art of Steam heat."
    This type of steam radiator was not mentioned in your BTU calculation section of the book, with all the different types of steam radiators listed.
  • DanHolohan
    edited November 2017
    Options
    It's in my book, EDR. That's where I'm getting the info about the enclosures from. All the ratings are in there, but it won't work well unless you install in inside the wall. It needs to move air. It's more of a convector than a radiator. The cool air in the room enters from the bottom and uses the space inside the wall as a sort of chimney. The air picks up the heat from the hot metal and exits from the top of the unit.
    Retired and loving it.
  • Fred
    Fred Member Posts: 8,542
    Options
    Do you have a copy of "EDR: Ratings for every Darn Radiator and Convector you'll probably ever see" ?
  • DanHolohan
    Options
    Weil-McLain's original literature is in there with all the specs and drawings of how it needs to be.
    Retired and loving it.
  • Bigbri0104
    Options
    Happy New Year Everyone!
    I'm going to purchase Dan's book for EDR ratings for the BTU output of the Weil-McLain Raydiant radiator that I posted in this thread earlier.
    However, Dan mentioned this specific type of radiator needs to be recessed into the wall for proper operation.
    My question is, has anyone ever created a framed enclosure for the radiator to be placed in without cutting into a wall? And if so has it worked successfully?

I posted a link to give everyone a better visual

Thanks for your help,

Brian

• DanHolohan
    Options
    Retired and loving it.
  • Bigbri0104
    Options
    Thanks Dan!