Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

What type of vent is this? Should I keep or toss?

Options
matthewb84
matthewb84 Member Posts: 27
edited November 2017 in Strictly Steam
I am attempting to balance my system today - I have three of these along with two No 1 Vent Rites (adjustable), and one standard looks like HomeDepot vent, non adjustable .

Are these any good? Should I scrap them and go with all Vent Rites?

Please advise!

Comments

• Gsmith
    Gsmith Member Posts: 432
    Options
    Looks like a varivalve by heattimer.com. THese vent valves vent VERY fast and are often the cause of difficult to balance steam systems. They were for me. I much prever the Vent Rite No 1 adjustable valves, but a lot depends on your overall system, particularly on the venting of your steam mains and whether or not the steam mains and near boiler piping are insulated.
  • nicholas bonham-carter
    Options
    Are your main vents capacious?
    I would concentrate your efforts there first, after replacing that one radiator vent.
    The advice from the Gorton website is NOT the way to go about it. Max out the mains and put slow venting on the radiators. After a few days of observation, you can increase the venting on any slow rads, (maybe on the top of tall risers).—NBC
  • Fred
    Fred Member Posts: 8,542
    Options
    Get rid of those Varivalves. They vent way to fast for virtually all radiators. Vent-Rites are good replacements.
    matthewb84
  • matthewb84
    matthewb84 Member Posts: 27
    Options
    Sounds like a plan - I have that one radiator that virtually gets no heat.

I am checking pitch of that run later but also swapping out some of the vents to see if it makes any difference. Might try the varivalve on the cold radiator to see if it helps, if not, I suspect its a bigger problem as many of members here think!

:-)