Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Radiator noise

Options
mtlight
mtlight Member Posts: 28
edited November 2017 in Strictly Steam
I have 2 year old sunrad. It’s 22 sections and approx 50 inches. It recessed in my wall . In a call for steam and from a cold start this rad used to be quiet but now it has one loud ping as the steam moves from the first to the second section of the rad? It’s the only noise that it makes and does it every time the steam moves past that section. Could it be an expansion problem or maybe a pitch issue I’ll increase pitch and see
It’s quiet otherwise and a beast for heat. I’m not sure what’s causing this noise but would love it to stop. Thanks for any suggestions

Comments

• BobC
    BobC Member Posts: 5,477
    Options
    You could try a piece of plastic milk jug under the legs to see if the helps. Put a level on it to make sure it has pitch and then a long straight edge to make sure it's not sagging in the middle.

Bob
    Smith G8-3 with EZ Gas @ 90,000 BTU, Single pipe steam
    Vaporstat with a 12oz cut-out and 4oz cut-in
    3PSI gauge
  • mtlight
    Options
    Ok. I’ll try that and get back. Hope no sag. Only 2 years old and problem right near the right leg by section two
  • mtlight
    Options
    I raised the vent side maybe 1/8”. Middle not sagging and still when heat goes from 1st to 2nd section there’s one sharp ping!!! Every time. Annoying Could it be the tension rod in the rear? I guess live with it thru the winter. Maybe call the manufacturer and see wht they say. Just annoying. And advice is appreciated.
    Thanks
  • nicholas bonham-carter
    Options
    If there is a union on the point of connection between sections, loosen it a part turn, and retighten as it may be slightly out of line.—NBC
  • Grallert
    Grallert Member Posts: 644
    Options
    I would back off the tensioning rod with the radiator cool then retighten to just short of snug. I know that's a vague description but try to get it just past finger tight... another pretty vague description, sorry
    Miss Hall's School service mechanic, greenhouse manager,teacher and dog walker
  • Fred
    Fred Member Posts: 8,542
    Options
    Try the piece of plastic under the feet. It sounds like expansion and probably hanging up on the floor making the slight movement difficult.
  • RomanGK_26986764589
    Options
    It does sound like an expansion noise. I remember I had this issue where almost every single radiator in my house would bang when started to heat up or cool down. I put furniture coasters under the radiators' feet and everything became quiet.