Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

where to buy a 1 1/2" radiator nut and tail piece?

Options
Today, after working very hard on getting a new TRV valve on a radiator (1 1/2 inch pipes do not like to flex), I was tightening the radiator nut and stripped it. I was so close to being done!

We used a spud wrench and the radiator nut broke on us inside the radiator, and had to use a hack saw to cut the pipe on the inside to get the old piece out.

Two bad things happened so far, now the third! Finally, the radiator nut and tail piece that I had was 1 1/4 and it was too big. I need a 1 1/2" radiator nut/tail piece, but I can't find them anywhere. Any recommendations to get this part? I don't see it on state supply.

Another option, can I put a 2 inch 1 1/2 nipple into the radiator, then reduce down to 1 1/4 for the radiator valve?

Thanks!

Comments

• JUGHNE
    JUGHNE Member Posts: 11,061
    edited November 2017
    Options
    Did the TRV come with a new spud and union nut?
    Can you post a picture of what you are working on?
  • rhodebump
    rhodebump Member Posts: 152
    Options
    Yes, the TRV came with a new spud and union nut, but it's too small (1 1/4) and the radiator is 1 1/2, and the pipe leading to the radiator is 1 1/4
    Posting pics.
  • gerry gill
    gerry gill Member Posts: 3,078
    Options
    yeah, they arn't interchangeable. Where is the spud that came with the trv?
    gwgillplumbingandheating.com
    Serving Cleveland's eastern suburbs from Cleveland Heights down to Cuyahoga Falls.

• JUGHNE
    Options
    You have 1 1/4" riser thru the floor?
    The old valve was 1 1/4" inlet with 1 1/2" out to the rad?

You could put a 1 1/2" X 1 1/4" reducing bushing into the rad and then use the new spud and TRV???

May have to move the rad a little.
    This is a 2 pipe system?
  • rhodebump
    Options
    Yes, it's a 2 pipe system. The radiator is suspended from the ceiling. Here is a video https://photos.app.goo.gl/qRhFx1XAwVZo23mf1

Here is a picture:

• rhodebump
    Options
    I will look for the reducing bushing. That's a good idea
  • JUGHNE
    edited November 2017
    Options
    With any valve/spud/union nut, you just about always have to change the spud out to have the mating spud/union nut match the valve.

Your old union nut probably stripped out because the threads did not match. Make sure the new spud/nut will still work on the new TRV. Those threads could have been buggered up by the old nut. :'(