Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Hissing, loud pilot

Options
JWise
JWise Member Posts: 5
A service contractor changed my pilot unit out for a new one because mine was old and the thermocouple stopped working and he said the wire tubing on the pilot was so old and flimsy.

I noticed the new tubing is quite thicker than the old. But It was a quick job he was in and out. I watched him test the connection to the gas valve for leaks by putting a flame to It. He didn’t test the actual pilot connection for leaks but I assume once he lit It you would see fire elsewhere, hence a leak ?

But To me the new one seems so loud and flame seems bigger. I can hear It much more when I’m close to the furnace. And besides the actual noise of the pilot being lit there’s also a hissing noise, like the gas being fed ? Same noise if I was to engage the red pilot button when lighting. Is that because the tubing is much larger now?

I mean the contractor did it so he would have noticed if It wasn’t normal. I would think lol

Comments

• Fred
    Fred Member Posts: 8,542
    Options
    There is a pilot flame adjustment on most gas valves. I would have him come back and adjust the flame, if needed