Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Pipe insulation asbestos

Hi guys wondering if anyone would be able to tell me if my pipe insulation is asbestos thank you

Comments

• steamhouse
    steamhouse Member Posts: 41
    Yes
    daveamir
  • daveamir
    daveamir Member Posts: 69
    Oh no that's not good
  • daveamir
    Any suggestions what I should do
  • daveamir said:

Any suggestions what I should do

Not panic, for starters.

New England SteamWorks
    Service, Installation, & Restoration of Steam Heating Systems
    newenglandsteamworks.com
    daveamir
  • Grallert
    Grallert Member Posts: 708
    You can leave it alone and never touch it. You can have it encapsulated by a certified company or you can have it abated by a certified abatement company. If you go that route you want to have those pipes reinsulated. New England SteamWorks Is right, don't panic
    Miss Hall's School service mechanic, greenhouse manager,teacher and dog walker
    daveamir
  • daveamir
    Ok I just have little kids so I got a little worried I guess I will find someone reputable to take care of this thank you
  • Grallert
    You can leave it alone and never touch it. You can have it encapsulated by a certified company or you can have it abated by a certified abatement company. If you go that route you want to have those pipes r3 insulated.
    daveamir
  • Grallert
    sorry for the double post
    daveamir
  • daveamir
    Thanks for the help guys
  • zoom
    zoom Member Posts: 72
    The only way to know for sure whether it is asbestos is to have a sample tested by a certified lab. So before you spend any serious money, make sure you do that first. Judging by the picture, it most likely is an asbestos containing material.

Asbestos is safe if left undisturbed. So the safest thing might just be to leave it alone. If its presence worries you, then have it professionally encapsulated or removed by a state licensed contractor. Paying a non-licensed contractor to do the removal can get you (and them) into some very hot water.

You can also do the removal yourself as the homeowner, and you should follow procedures for minimizing contamination. And you must still follow state and federal regulations for the proper disposal of the asbestos. You can pay a licensed company to take the asbestos materials away after you do the removal.
    daveamir
  • PinkTavo
    PinkTavo Member Posts: 64
    Don't remove it. Just have someone seal off those exposed ends. If it doesn't get into the air, and is left alone, it is safe.
    Make sure your kids know not to mess with it...just as anyone should tell them not to eat paint chips in an old house.
  • Circa1902
    Circa1902 Member Posts: 20
    I think if your system is working properly and you're satisfied with its operation, how it's piped, etc. then by all means, having someone come in and seal it all up is a worthwhile option.

However if there are currently issues, or if you think there is additional work or changes that need to be done on the system, having it sealed up will obviously hinder this.

I faced a similar situation last year when I bought my house, it had a mixture of old asbestos and some fiberglass - I chose to have it removed and abated. It was the more expensive option but now I don't have to worry about it.