Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Baseboard heat...most BTU per foot

Options
I took some walls down and turned my kitchen, dining room and living room into a great room. I have baseboard heat on the walls I can get it on. The heat is OK, but it takes awhile to get it there. I have hi output on one of the walls, but the smaller Slant fin on two of the others. I do not want a kickspace unit, hate the noise. I’d like to replace the 20 or so feet of the smaller baseboard with a higher output baseboard. What base has the highest BTU per foot?
Thanks

Comments

• Brewbeer
    Brewbeer Member Posts: 616
    Options
    Smith Environmental's Heating Edge baseboards have high output.
    Sterling baseboards also have some high output units, including the Synergy, Sun Temp HO, Petite 9, and Heat Trim Plus lines of baseboard.
    There are probably others, too.
    Hydronics inspired homeowner with self-designed high efficiency low temperature baseboard system and professionally installed mod-con boiler with indirect DHW. My system design thread: http://forum.heatinghelp.com/discussion/154385
    System Photo: https://us.v-cdn.net/5021738/uploads/FileUpload/79/451e1f19a1e5b345e0951fbe1ff6ca.jpg
  • NY_Rob
    NY_Rob Member Posts: 1,370
    Options
    Do you have a mod-con or a conventional boiler with fixed 180F supply water for spaceheating?
  • Big Ed_4
    Big Ed_4 Member Posts: 2,785
    Options
    Need more BTU , look into panel radiators , So much less wall space fand delivers an bigger punch ....
    I have enough experience to know , that I dont know it all
  • Spark949_
    Spark949_ Member Posts: 8
    Options
    It’s a peerless 160-180
  • NY_Rob
    Options
    At 170F AWT the Smiths Heating Edge will put out 813 BTU's/ft if piped parallel.
    Your 20' run would put out 16,000 BTU's... enough to heat a small house :)
  • HTM
    HTM Member Posts: 29
    Options
    The Sterling high output models mentioned by Brewbear have btu/hr/ft ratings 620 @ 160 degF and 800 @ 180 deg F. Their Classic HO a little lower. All of these basis 3/4" tube and nominal 1 GPM flow.
    Don't underestimate appearance. Dimensions are similar for all these models, but the enclosures vary. Some are better looking than others. You would probably want to match your existing HO or replace all with the look and heating output that suits.
  • NY_Rob
    Options
    I have photos of my Smiths Heating Edge install if interested...
  • Spark949_
    Spark949_ Member Posts: 8
    Options
    NY_Rob said:

I have photos of my Smiths Heating Edge install if interested...

Sure would..thanks
  • NY_Rob
    Options
    ^ Looks like the full thread is still intact, photos are in the thread....

https://forum.heatinghelp.com/discussion/162426/heating-edge-2-install-with-photos
  • Keith M
    Keith M Member Posts: 78
    Options
    I suggest you review the test details Smith Environmental uses to rate the output of their Heating Edge. We tested it using the IBR/AHRI test procedure and the actual output did not come close to their published ratings. If you review their test method you should understand why.
    Using the IBR/AHRI test procedure our Slant/Fin HD-850 using H-1 element had higher outputs at ALL water temperatures...high or low. Slant/Fin rates all of our baseboard and finned tube products down to 110F water temperature.
    I cannot comment on Sterling other than stating I believe they use the IBR/AHRI test procedure to rate their products.
    I do work for Slant/Fin and certainly am biased. However, I believe we should all play on an even field and use the same standard to arrive at performance ratings. I assure you, the Heating Edge ratings are NOT based on the standard we use to rate baseboard...it is not apples to apples.
    Keith Muhlmeister
    Slant/Fin Corporation
    HVACNUT