Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Potential problem with Weil-Mclain boiler (with photos)

Options
Hello everyone, just looking for a little help regarding my Weil-Mclain boiler. It’s either EG 40 or 45, I’m not quite sure. My concern is CO spillage. Does the place indicated in the photos need to be sealed? I noticed this quite sometime ago and signed up to a forum similar to this to seek some assistance and was told it does not need to be sealed. I had an appointment with somebody to come check it out but got a little busy and it fell by the wayside. Fast forward 5 or 6 months, I spoke to a rep at Weil-Mclain who showed some photos I took to the manager of tech support that said, indeed, it needs to be sealed. That was at least 3 weeks ago, but I’ve been out of town and haven’t had anyone to check it out. I’m home now and I’ll be making an appointment with a boiler servicing company tomorrow, but in the mean time I’m just looking to quell some of my curiosities. Any insight would be greatly appreciated. I’ve numbered the photos, but if they don’t come in the order corresponding to the numbers I apologize.

First photo: This is the diagram from the manual that indicates the area that needs to be sealed.

Second photo: This photo shows a back view of the boiler and a couple of arrows pointing to some screws that I took out to get a better look at the inside of the boiler. The third arrow is pointing to the general area that I checked out once I took those screws out.

Third and Fourth photo: These photos show the back piece of the boiler jacket peeled back a little with arrows pointing to a portion of the area in question. Although this area looks flush, there is a gap between the cast iron boiler and metal edge of the draft hood that runs across the boiler. The full length of the gap is obscured by some of the draft hood as this photo was taken at an awkward angle due to limited space.

Fifth and Sixth photos: These photos are both looking up at the gap

Comments

• HVACNUT
    HVACNUT Member Posts: 5,841
    Options
    If your handy, pick up a small tub of furnace cement and seal the gaps. (Turn off the boiler and wait till its cold.)
    The cement cures with heat. I don't even use a trowel. I use my hand with latex gloves.
    kcopp
  • Homeowner100
    Homeowner100 Member Posts: 3
    Options
    Yeah that’s not a problem, I can certainly do that.