Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Don't forget that gauges go bad!

Options
On my peerless I had been changing all the faulty air valves and bits, and still seemed to have issues with pressure getting too close to 30. I changed the autofill which seemed to be leaking in pressure and wasn't physically in good condition. Still seeing pressure creeping I was not sure what to do. I noticed that the temp portion of the gauge had been off more than usual the couple of years. I ended up using a water PSI gauge on a drain line and noticed the PSI was 20 and thought the gauge might be off.

I decided to get an exact replacement from Peerless and my old gauge was off about 5 psi. Now my system runs between 15-20 and no higher. The old gauge lasted 15 years so I hope to get another 15 (maybe) from the system.

I know for the pros this is hardy a big deal but I was happy to have this working correctly. Most of the gauages I saw would completely fail, I guess mine was just kind of tired. :)

Comments

• STEVEusaPA
    STEVEusaPA Member Posts: 6,506
    Options
    No, you're on to something. Many of the boiler gauges don't hold up (i.e. junk). I confirm all water issues with my own gauge.
    When I first started out, you'd see a boiler with 'no' water (no pressure) on the gauge, add water, it gets up to '5' pounds and blows the relief valve...bad gauge.
    Best to start diagnosis with a known working gauge.
    steve
    Solid_Fuel_Man