Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Tankless Combi Boiler or Standard Boiler system recommendation needed

Big_Finner
Big_Finner Member Posts: 11
edited November 2017 in Radiant Heating
Hi,

We are currently putting together plans to build a 1 bedroom garage suite with kitchen and 1 bath (dishwasher and stackable laundry as well). I am leaning towards using a combi tankless to run a cooler pex zone in the garage slab and also a comfortable room temperature zone int the suite above the garage. The build has a 25'x21' footprint (just over 500sqft). The hydronic system seems to be the best choice at this point as the suite and garage have to be separated due to monoxide so that would mean a furnace feeding the upstairs suite and one for the garage if I went that way. I live in Edmonton, Alberta, Canada and it gets cold. -40C cold at times which translates to -40F. However the space will be small and I plan to seal and insulate very well.

My problem is I just can't seem to find any reviews anywhere on combi tankless systems. Possibly someone here can point me to some good reviews of these boilers?

I am also open to advice on which combi's people would recommend and which they would advise I stay away from.

BTW I also like the idea of the combi system as it is a compact solution and all the mechanical's for the entire build will be in the garage and I would prefer that I don't end up having to eat up a large portion of my garage with a walled in mechanical room.

Thank you ahead of time for any advice . I am also open to other solutions if anyone see's a good one.

Comments

• kcopp
    kcopp Member Posts: 4,418
    My suggestion.... I'm sure others will chime in w/ their fav. I like this one because there a A LOT fewer parts to break.
    The installer is key.
    http://ibcboiler.com/ibc-products/dc-series/
  • Leon82
    Leon82 Member Posts: 684
    Since it's only 1 bathroom you can probably use a smaller unit which will help with the small zones
  • GW
    GW Member Posts: 4,691
    I’d recommend a smaller boiler with a basic indirect water heater. Combi units have more btu, more cycling
    Gary Wilson
    Wilson Services, Inc
    Northampton, MA
    gary@wilsonph.com
  • Big_Finner
    Thanks so much for all the advice so far. I really appreciate it.
    kcopp said:

My suggestion.... I'm sure others will chime in w/ their fav. I like this one because there a A LOT fewer parts to break.
    The installer is key.
    http://ibcboiler.com/ibc-products/dc-series/

Thanks- You mention a LOT fewer parts to break with this IBC, and from the little bit of customer reviews I have been able to find online it appears like these combi tankless systems might be a very unreliable requiring expensive repairs often. However as I have only been able to find very few reviews I have been wondering if I can trust the few I found.

So do you know if for the most part these combi boilers tend to be problematic and expensive/difficult to repair?

Also do you know who the suppliers of these IBC boilers are, what their reliability is like compared to typical furnaces and if you know of any reviews of them?

You also mention the installer is key. Can you elaborate on why that is the case? As well what should I know overall about boiler systems and their set up so that I can pick an installer wisely?

I am sure it is my ignorance and likely also a touch of arrogance but I have trouble wrapping my head around why and how these systems are difficult to set up and can be so easily set up wrong? I'm not saying I don't believe you, however in my head I can't comprehend how heating water and running it through pex can be that complex?
    Leon82 said:

Since it's only 1 bathroom you can probably use a smaller unit which will help with the small zones

Any idea on roughly what size you would think? Keep in mind that possibly one day I may want to close off the garage door and use that space for office or living space. So that would make it a heating requirement of 500 sqft of concrete slab at ground level and 500 sqft of apartment above to heat.
    GW said:

I’d recommend a smaller boiler with a basic indirect water heater. Combi units have more btu, more cycling

I am by no means opposed to this as I am fine if the boiler and HWT take a little more space and use a little more energy if it is a better choice than a combi tankless.

I would really like to hear more on why you recommend this route however?

• Big_Finner
    Oh, just to be clear I am simply looking for heating solution for best solution for the space. I am not hell bent on a combi by any means and am open to all options of products that might work. Just trying to find the best solution.

Here would be in order the top things that I believe anyway are my my priorities:

1. Reliability and life length.

2. Something that does not take a ton of space eating up the garage (This was why I am leaning towards radiant as it would only involve a single unit to heat both the garage and the suite. Forced air will mean two furnaces)

3. Price (We are trying to stick to a pretty tight budget but a single radiant boiler system solution that costs more than a typical furnace is okay because the build would require 2 furnaces anyway. I would like the solution to be decently energy efficient but I am fine if it is a little less efficient if it meets requirements 1 and 2.)