Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

looking for screw in insertion electric element for old water tank/range boiler

I have run out of replacement elements for my 1929 copper #30 hot water tank.
Are they available in the U.S.A.?
220 volts, 1" NPT screw in mounting, any wattage up to 3kW

Comments

• EBEBRATT-Ed
    EBEBRATT-Ed Member Posts: 15,452
    I have never seen 1" screw in elements. Seems like this thing needs replacement ..... almost 90 years old
  • hot_rod
    hot_rod Member Posts: 22,018
    1" threaded elements are the most commonly used types in the electric DHW market. You can find them most everywhere, plumbing suppliers, hardware stores, box stores, online. They are available in all sorts of lengths and wattages, and long life ones like the Sandhog.

Most use a small ring gasket also to seal.

Make sure you have a good working temperature and pressure relief valve if it is a pressurized vessel.
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
    Living the hydronic dream
  • JUGHNE
    JUGHNE Member Posts: 11,042
    The common electric element is 240 VAC 4500watts.
    IIRC there are some 240 vac 3000 KW, might have to order.
    Is there a nameplate with the max KW? I know 1929..
  • vibert_c
    vibert_c Member Posts: 69
    @EBEBRATT-Ed They made quality products back then. Why can't a hot water tank last 90 years! It has blown out three elements in that time. Nothing else can survive my well water where I reside. A modern tank is lucky to last 15 months.
    @hot rod these units seal on the pipe thread not on a gasket.
    I have tried your recommended flavor with the gasket, but can't make it seal as the collar is not flush where it screws in.
    @JUGHNE no name plate, just a stencil on the tank, CRANE 1929.
    Thanks for the support guys.

• hot_rod
    Any way to take an angle grinder or file and make a flat surface for the gasket?

I'll bet you could clean the threads real well and get some blue, or green Loctite and basically glue the threads. That is how most brass ball valves and straight threads are assembled.

We assemble all our brass manifolds with Loctite 272 or 575 and within a few minutes air test at 90 psi, it " goes off" quickly in the absence of air. Loctite is basically a super glue formulated for hydronic and pneumatic fitting assemblies.
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
  • vibert_c
    @hot rod That is a great suggestion. I was hoping to find an original element. I am not stuck right now as this unit is also plumbed with a functional side arm heater {low, med, high]
    I have run a 1" tap through the threads so they are clean. I do have a modern gasketed element to try with the locktite.
    Thanks
  • hot_rod
    Here are the two #s we use. I like the 272 series for loose threads, it is a thicker consistency, 545 seems to be more permanent.

For a time we sent these small on fitting tubes out with manifolds to make field adjustments, I may have some around if you can't find small tubes locally or online.

Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
  • Henry
    Henry Member Posts: 998
    WATTCO has or will make whatever you want
  • kcopp
    kcopp Member Posts: 4,418
    Is this water heater in the US or the UK?
  • vibert_c
    @Henry Thank you so much, that is what I was looking for.
    I have downloaded their catalogue. They must have come up in Montreal when Chromalox went tits-up.

This range boiler in in Ottawa Canada, made in Canada!
    by proud Canadians! Hi Hi !