Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Low Loss Headers

What is the deal with low loss headers and the pricing ? I like one low loss Seperator 1" pipe size ran me over $350.00 ? I can buy a 50 gallon electric water heater for less money.

Comments

• Danny Scully
    Danny Scully Member Posts: 1,416
    No ones stopping you :lol:
    Jim Kelleher_7
  • hot_rod
    hot_rod Member Posts: 22,024
    function -wise, properly piped either can be an effective separator.

With a top quality separator you get excellent micro bubble air removal, a 5 micron dirt separator at the bottom, and a magnetic function if you desire, and of course hydraulic sep. So 4 functions in one product. Magnetic function is a good idea if you chose ECM circulators.

The tank can add some buffer capacity and that may be a determining feature. I'd at least add a good air sep with a buffer tank. The tank alone with a float vent on top is not adequate for micro bubble removal, from my experience.
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
    Living the hydronic dream
    Jim Kelleher_7
  • Leon82
    Leon82 Member Posts: 684
    More complex casting more machining more flanges
    Jim Kelleher_7
  • Jim Kelleher_7
    Jim Kelleher_7 Member Posts: 9
    Just a comparison I reckon, an electric water heater would seem to requires alot more effort to build, than a low loss header. I wasn't going to use a 50 gallon water heater as a buffer tank.
  • hot_rod
    With a bit of fitting trickery, it is possible. Most tanks only have 3/4 taps, but you can combine them or increase right away with a bell. depends on how many gpm you want to flow.

Here is my system with a Lochinvar Nobel and a small electric tank buffer. A two pipe buffer. I added a 4.5KW element for the times I run out of LP :)
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
    Jim Kelleher_7
  • kcopp
    kcopp Member Posts: 4,419
    You could make your own... a few black iron tees and some nipples
    Jim Kelleher_7
  • hot_rod
    With the larger electric tanks that have two elements, remove the elements and use the 1" element ports as your in and out. Air vent on top, bottom of the tank becomes the dirt separator function.

Here is a job I did probably 12 years ago to add so buffer to this cast boiler. These pics are still on a floppy from my Sony Mavica!

Or add one more step and put a magnet in a well at the bottom to collect magnetite.
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
    Jim Kelleher_7
  • Jim Kelleher_7
    Jim Kelleher_7 Member Posts: 9
    That pretty cool !
  • EBEBRATT-Ed
    EBEBRATT-Ed Member Posts: 15,455
    @hot rod said: "These pics are still on a floppy from my Sony Mavica!"

Those were great cameras. Makes me wonder if I still have mine?? Haven't seen it in a while. Gotta go look