Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Removing stuck air vent from steam radiator

Options
I'm trying to remove a stuck Dole #1A vent from a radiator. It was installed without any teflon tape or pipe dope and it's stuck on there pretty well. It looks like somebody before me had tried to remove it unsuccessfully and damaged it in the process, because the vent itself was loose and wobbly on the pipe nipple.

Here's what I tried already that didn't work:
  • Grabbing the pipe nipple with vise grips (just chewed up the brass)
  • Applying Aero-Kroil penetrating oil, waiting 4 hours, and repeating the above
  • Heating the metal around the hole with a propane torch
I'm thinking my best bet at this point is to cut the vent body off the pipe nipple with a hacksaw, then file a couple of flats on the nipple (or cut a slot in it) and have one more go at taking it off with a big wrench (or impact driver), and if that fails, drill it out and clean the brass out of the hole with a tap (hopefully the tap will end up chasing the original hole instead of cutting a new misaligned one). I was wondering if anybody could recommend for or against this approach, or had any better ideas.

Tools I have:
  • 1/8 NPT tap
  • Q, R, 11/32 drills
  • Small files
  • Hacksaw
  • Impact screwdriver
  • Left-hand drill in 1/4" size
Tools I haven't got:
  • Left-hand drill in 11/32
Any thoughts or stories from related experience appreciated.

Comments

• Fred
    Fred Member Posts: 8,542
    Options
    The best bet is to cut it off and try to get the piece of nipple out of the radiator. They typically aren't threaded all the way in and you might get lucky and be able to file a notch in the the piece of remaining brass fairly easily and get it out. If you screw up the threads in the radiator, you can always drill and tap a 1/4" hole and install a 1/4"X 1/8" bushing in and mount your new vent.
    oilheatme
  • Paul48
    Paul48 Member Posts: 4,469
    Options
    I'd try hitting the pipe with a center punch in a couple spots....up close to the radiator.
    Canucker
  • JUGHNE
    JUGHNE Member Posts: 11,062
    Options
    I see a few 1/4 x 1/8 bushings because of the situation you have.
    Not too tough to tap, don't get oil in the system. Brass bushing would be best. IMO
  • Terran
    Terran Member Posts: 8
    Options
    Thanks. I don't currently have a 1/4 NPT tap so I'm going to get one of those and a bushing before I cut off the vent.
  • RomanGK_26986764589
    Options
    I was about to create a new thread regarding this issue. The vent I have is too fast for the radiator and I was trying to unscrew it with no luck.
    It was installed with a pipe dope last year. Maybe the threads were painted over, I tried picking the threads with a sharp thin knife to remove paint and dried pipe dope, also tried PB Blaster but so far no luck. That vent works well and I don't want to damage it, also don't want to break it off from the nipple. Any suggestions?
  • MilanD
    MilanD Member Posts: 1,160
    edited November 2017
    Options
    I was able to remove a nipple stub of a broken off Hoffman 40 with a 1/8 easy out. It screwed itself out after a few gentle turns with a wrench. I would not recommend power tools or impact driver as it may gouge threads.
  • Big Ed_4
    Big Ed_4 Member Posts: 2,785
    Options
    The stem of the vent is broken , snapped of the body of the vent and stuck in the radiator .. Buy an 1/4" NPT tap and the proper drill bit.. Drill size posted on Tap... Drill out and clean threads with the tap

There was an error rendering this rich post.

• hvacfreak2
    hvacfreak2 Member Posts: 500
    Options
    Plus 1 here for the easy out. I would pick one up with a 1/4 x 1/8 bushing that you might need anyway.
    hvacfreak

Mechanical Enthusiast

Burnham MST 396 , 60 oz gauge , Tigerloop , Firomatic Check Valve , Mcdonnell Miller 67 lwco , Danfoss RA2k TRV's

Easyio FG20 Controller

• newagedawn
    newagedawn Member Posts: 586
    Options
    try PB balst, hit it good and leavie it overnight, i swear it will come out!!!!!!, this stuff has gotten more things i thought impossible out, give it a try, even if you have to hit it twice
    "The bitter taste of a poor install lasts far longer than the JOY of the lowest price"
    MilanD
  • Terran
    Terran Member Posts: 8
    Options
    Hi all, thanks for the advice.

It turns out I got lucky this time — I gave it another try this morning and it came right out with no trouble! It seems that 6 hours with the penetrating oil was not enough but 24 hours did the job.

I have a 1/4" NPT tap and reducing bushing on order so I will keep them for some future occasion when I am less lucky. :smile:
    MilanDFred