Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

testing a mains air vent

Options
bcoyle
bcoyle Member Posts: 29
Is there a way to safety test if a vent is working? Specifically I can't tell if the Gorton no. 2's on the basement mains are working. Do you put something up to the vent to see if air is escaping. I can't tell if it's just too slow/gentle to notice or it's plugged. I also think of the two mains in the basement, we might need a big mouth or two. Which would be exciting. Need these mains to heat up faster.

Comments

• BobC
    BobC Member Posts: 5,478
    Options
    A strip of tissue will flutter if the vent is venting air.

Bob
    Smith G8-3 with EZ Gas @ 90,000 BTU, Single pipe steam
    Vaporstat with a 12oz cut-out and 4oz cut-in
    3PSI gauge
  • Fred
    Fred Member Posts: 8,542
    Options
    Just tell the wifey that those damn vents died, AGAIN and order a couple Big Mouths. They cost the same as the Gorton #2" with twice the venting capacity. >:)
  • bcoyle
    Options
    Fred said:

Just tell the wifey that those damn vents died, AGAIN and order a couple Big Mouths. They cost the same as the Gorton #2" with twice the venting capacity. >:)

haha, this was the answer I was looking for :)
  • Mark N
    Mark N Member Posts: 1,115
    Options
    Need some more info. Are the mains insulated? How long are the mains? How long does it take to get steam from the header to the main vent?
  • bcoyle
    Options
    @Mark N Mains are mostly insulated, at least on one of the two main pipe runs. I'm going to measure the mains tomorrow. Any suggestions for testing the speed at which the mains heat up? I can mostly just run around the basement trying to feel the piping. Hopefully by tomorrow I'll have a 3d diagram to help visualize the piping.
  • Fred
    Fred Member Posts: 8,542
    Options
    The goal is to get the mains to vent as fast as if they were venting to an open pipe. What size is the nipple the vent is mounted to? With a cool main,take the vent off of the nipple and fire the boiler up. Once the header gets hot, go to that open vent pipe and time how long it takes to get steam to that end of the main. Turn the power off to the boiler immediately. That time is the best you are going to get, with a vent opening the size it currently is. . Add vents to the main until you achieve about the same time to get steam to that end of the main.
    bcoyle