Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Coin vents on steam rads?

Options
HVACNUT
HVACNUT Member Posts: 5,841
Hey guys, I did an oil tune up on a 1 pipe steam boiler today. The customer is fairly new to the home. He said the basement rads (6) weren't heating, but the main level is fine.
This was my first time at this residence, and while working on the boiler, I noticed the pressurtrol set to 2 lbs cut in and 2 lbs diff. (PA404A)
I set it to .5 lb cut in, 1 lb diff.
The basement rads are horizontal ceiling mount.
Now here's the thing. Instead of having quick vents on the rads, they have coin vents used on hydronics for bleeding air. They should have angle quick vents right?
Has anyone seen this?
I didn't get too involved because the tune up is the tune up, and any trouble shooting would be an additional charge, so he's going to schedule for us to go back.
Thoughts?

Comments

• Danny Scully
    Danny Scully Member Posts: 1,425
    Options
    Are they Hoffman’s? Pictures should really be prerequisites for posting...
    JohnNY
  • Fred
    Fred Member Posts: 8,542
    Options
    Is there a hot water loop for those basement Rads?
  • HVACNUT
    Options
    > @Danny Scully said:
    > Are they Hoffman’s? Pictures should really be prerequisites for posting...

If I wind up going back there, I'll be sure to take some pics and post them so you can tell what ceiling mount rads and coin vents look like.
    Prerequisite...

@Fred. No hot water loop. The main heats and the first 12" or so of the rads, but that's it.
  • Danny Scully
    Danny Scully Member Posts: 1,425
    edited November 2017
    Options
    Wow @HVACNUT, put the claws away. I asked because these Hoffman vents can (in theory) be used from steam or hot water. To answer your question, yes I would replace with angle vents. Best of luck on this one.
  • HVACNUT
    Options
    > @Danny Scully said:
    > Wow @HVACNUT, put the claws away. I asked because these Hoffman vents can (in theory) be used from steam or hot water. To answer your question, yes I would replace with angle vents. Best of luck on this one.

Sorry Dan. Long day. No, they are standard coin vents with the square valve head that takes a key.
    I put it in "work suggested" on the iPad, so we'll see if the customer calls.
    Claws? Are you referring to my feminine side? Lol.
  • EBEBRATT-Ed
    EBEBRATT-Ed Member Posts: 15,545
    Options
    Because they ran the pressure high the basement radiators didn't have a chance to work on steam so they removed the steam vents and installed hot water vents. What's wrong with that????

Whenever they vented it they go hot water ....right???

hahaha....LOLLOL you can't make it up!
    delta T