Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Wirsbo A2553220 Manifold Hookup

gsn88
gsn88 Member Posts: 2
Newbie here....I've been reading through info on the forums here and figured I would join to see if someone could help educate me.
I have what I think is a Wirsbo A2553220 manifold in my garage. The manifolds and radiant loops are installed, but were never hooked up by the previous owner. I'm trying to round up the remaining parts that I need to complete the system. Some of the documentation that I found indicates that this manifold has internal balancing valves and mentions something about a MVA or thermal actuator....not sure if I need these or not.
1) I'm assuming that the manifold in the attached pic with the black caps is the return?
2) Do I need flow meters of some sort in order to balance the loops?

Any insight would be appreciated.

Comments

• delta T
    delta T Member Posts: 884
    There are some unkowns we will need to clear up before moving forward.

Is the rest of the house radiant? Can you post a picture of the boiler and the associated piping? this will help us figure out how to attach the garage to your system properly.

Is there any documentation that would show the lengths of the loops in the garage slab? If the loops are withing 10% of each other on length, you should not really need to balance the flow between them.

You should not need actuators on the manifold, but you will need a zone valve or a pump near the boiler, again pictures of your boiler will help us determine the best solution.
  • delta T
    delta T Member Posts: 884
    Also, why was the radiant never hooked up? I see air test assembly on one of the mainfolds, have you ever put any air on it to check for leaks?
  • gsn88
    gsn88 Member Posts: 2
    Thanks for the comments! The radiant was never hooked up before the previous owners sold. The house, which is not attached to the garage, is not radiant. I have an outdoor boiler that currently heats the house and will be connecting to my radiant in the garage. Already have the Taco zone pump, insulated pex to the building, mixing valve, etc. Just trying to figure out the details of connecting to the manifolds.
    Through some research I thing I found R32 adapters from Uponor that will fit the manifold. Not sure about the loop length, I can only make assumptions about consistent length between them. Good news if I don't have to worry about balancing.
    Have not air checked it yet, although I did press the plunger on the air valve and heard a hiss of air escape. The system has been holding that air for at least 10 years. So that "air test assembly" you mentioned is only for testing?